Reload this Page >

Location of Chiemsee?

Search

Location of Chiemsee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 12:15 PM
Lee

Location of Chiemsee?

Hi. <BR> <BR>We are planning our Salzberg/Bavaria trip for May, '99 and I'm looking for a good route to the Castle at Chiemsee. Does anyone know of an easy to find route from say, Munich? It would be much appreciated. <BR> <BR>My wife and I have been to King Ludwig's other two castles and she has expressed interest in seeing the third one, this time around. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 06:20 PM
Anna

Lee: <BR>As I'm sure you know, Herrenchiemsee is on an island in the middle of the Chiemsee, and you must take a boat to get to it. From Munich you would take the main autobahn toward Salzburg, which I think is #8, then take the turnoff to Prien. Down that road is where the tour boats leave for the island. After you get to the island you must walk nearly a mile through beautiful woods (or take a horsecart) to get to the castle. It is a spectacular sight, and a "must see" if you've been to Ludwig's other two castles and understand his eccentricities. Not nearly as many tourists make the trip to this one, but it is as unique as the others, just harder to get to!

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 06:25 PM
wes fowler

Lee, <BR>Chiemsee is about equidistant between Munich and Salzburg via the A/8-E/54 autobahn. From Munich, exit the autobahn at the Prien-Bernau exit. Head north about 6kms to Prien where you can board the ferry to the island Herreninsel and the castle Schloss Herrenchiemsee. For a particularly scenic return to the autobahn, take the route north from Prien around the lake. You'll get stunning views of the lake with the Alps as a backdrop. <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 04:35 AM
Lee

This is exactly what we needed. It should work out well as we are planning to fly into Munich (and out of Frankfurt) and drive to Bertchesgaden and stay the night. We'll visit Salzberg and then on our way back to Munich, we'll stop at Herrenchiemsee. <BR> <BR>Thank you Anna and Wes for the great info. <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 07:10 AM
Emily Connolly

On Saturday evenings, there is a classical music presentation at the Castle in the Hall of Mirrors. It is often performed purely by candlelight and it's quite beautiful. You can buy tix ahead of time for this performance, or there are also bus trips from B'gaden if you wish to avoid the drive.