Locales in the movie "Last Chance Harvey"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We watched this movie on Saturday night (by the way, it's not as bad as I was lead to believe -- just a mild sort of middle-aged romance) and there were some lovely scenes of London. A few of them took place on, I think, the south bank (the scenes where Emma Thompson was taking her writing class) and there was a lot of street activity -- a small band, a book stall, buskers, etc. Does this really happen on the south bank and if so, can you tell me where? Is it something that goes on on a particular day of the week?

Are there other areas of London where there's some nice street fair sort of activity like this?

Thanks.
gtg
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Not seen the movie, but certainly on a weekend afternoon (if the weather's kind), there are secondhand booksellers on the South Bank under Waterloo Bridge, and plenty of free activities and street entertainment pretty well all the way along from County Hall to Blackfriars Bridge.

Covent Garden would also be a place to look pretty well any day of the week, though it's a bit more tourist oriented.

Or Spitalfields market or Camden Lock at the weekend, especially Sundays.

Plenty of other general and antiques markets - everyone will no doubt have their favourites:

http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
yk

80% of the movie showed the 2 characters walking up and down the S Bank, just outside the South Bank Center.

Other scenes I recall are:
- Courtyard within Somerset House. That's the scene where Thompson waited for Hoffman to show up but he was sent to the hospital
- Grosvenor House; where Hoffman's daughter wedding was held
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM

I actually thought it was pretty good. Not a big Dustin Hoffman fan, but love Emma Thompson.

The next time you want to know about movie locations, just google. That's what I did and found this:

http://www.visitbritain.us/campaigns...locations.aspx
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Oh, google also came up with this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046947/locations
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM

There is plenty that makes South Bank a good place to spend time from the booksellers, moderate restaurants, skateboarders, street entertainment, view back to parliament, etc. Here's a book on exactly that topic. http://www.amazon.com/Tate-Walk-Alon...5461236&sr=8-1 (available in the US as a used book pretty cheap).
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh wonderful! Thanks -- this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. We're big walkers and expect to do a lot of it in London next fall. Street fairs, etc. are just the kind of thing we like to set out to find.

Thanks again!