Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ljubjana...worth spending a night? Or would a couple of hours work?

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Our schedule is getting tighter! We have decided to drive from Plitvice to Pazin in Istria or somewhere near there and may decide to spend two nights touring. Which would mean that we would have to cut Ljubljana from our schedule! We were spending one night there and we are wondering if we could just spend a couple of hours on our way to Lake Bled?
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
nbujic

yes!
Ljubljana is small and can be easily seen in that time.

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM

A couple of hours is plenty - there's really not that much to do there. Lake Bled is much nicer...
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM

Although the Ljubljana is small, it's a great place with lots of pedestrian activity and a real delight especially at night. I was there on Friday and Saturday nights. It was one of my favorite places. Of course you could see it in a few hours, but I'd recommend staying at least one night.

I had considered going to Lake Bled, but I'm really glad I had a full day and two nights in Ljubljana. Here are some photos. Just click on Slovenia.
http://www.pbase.com/jeff_b/root
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I had two full days and thought that was enough time, but I think merely a few hours or even a day might be cutting things a little short.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM

I had only a couple of hours there and I felt cheated...there may not be that much to see, but it has that feeling of an up-and-coming city and seemed like it would have a great nightlife - tons of cafes and restaurants around the riverwalk area.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Our family visited Croatia and Slovenia in the summer of 2005 starting in Dubrovnik.

After leaving Plitvice Park, we drove to Ljubljana and spent 2 nights. It is very nice and we enjoyed our time here, but you could really see it in a few hours.

I agree, it is especially lovely at night with a great atmosphere. They speak excellent English here too.

IMO, the castle here is really not worth seeing, especially if you have been to other castles in Europe.

We spent 4 nights in Lake Bled, which has more to see and do. Do go to the castle above Lake Bled for stunning views! We loved both Croatia and Slovenia! Have a great trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the feedback on Ljubljana! It looks like we will spend two nights in "green" Istria and just visit Ljubljana. We will plan on lunch there and walking the streets. We have reservations in Bled that evening. I appreciate all the responses, it really helps in planning.
Sasi