Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Living in the NE US and being pelted by the snow/sleet...with all of you heading to Europe!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/living-in-the-ne-us-and-being-pelted-by-the-snow-sleet-with-all-of-you-heading-to-europe-679667/)

travelfan1 Feb 14th, 2007 05:10 AM

Living in the NE US and being pelted by the snow/sleet...with all of you heading to Europe!!

You know it's bad when in the middle of a snow storm the only thing you think of (knowing of course all my family members are safe) is how
this is affecting anyone leaving for Europe. So just know I'm thinking of all of you and wishing you good luck with your travels!

NeoPatrick Feb 14th, 2007 05:14 AM

"thinking of" or envying?
LOL

marginal_margiela Feb 14th, 2007 05:18 AM

I doubt the planes will take off in this weather, Mary.

Thank Gucci I went to the liquor store last night to stock up on groceries.

Images2 Feb 14th, 2007 05:27 AM

Thanks for the good wishes Travelfan! We are among those, but thankfully not leaving until Friday. We're flying CVG through Dulles to Europe. Hopefully the weather will clear by then and the airport reopen.

I just shoveled loads of ice and snow off the driveway and my son in Muncie,Indiana with 18" of snow is planning on driving down today. Wish he wasn't....

cruisinred Feb 14th, 2007 05:31 AM

As I awoke to frozen sleet and snow this morning, the local weather report said it would be 5 degrees next Monday.....but the high will be 57 in Paris, which is where I'll be next week :)

BTilke Feb 14th, 2007 05:46 AM

You can keep the ice, but I'd love to have some of that snow sent our way!! Last week, we got 2.5 inches, which is a mere tease to die hard snow lovers like us (inc. the cocker). It was gone within 24 hours.
Some of my favorite winter memories were from Syracuse, NY, which can really get dumped on (I hear it may be snowing up to 3 inches per hour there later today with total accumulations over 2 feet on top of all they've gotten already). Thank heavens for winter rats.

Hope all the snowbound Fodorites are as well prepared as MM and have a nice fireplace to cozy up to.

celfan Feb 14th, 2007 06:33 AM

We're supposed to get 15-30 inches here in Northern Vermont. So far very powdery and light. Would love to avoid the sleet.

mikemo Feb 14th, 2007 07:11 AM

It's 75F/24C here and I'm leaving for NYC shortly.
M

grandmere Feb 14th, 2007 07:14 AM

Here's hoping Tuscanlifeedit gets to take off from PIT to CDG today; not looking real good here in the 'Burgh at this moment.

ronkala Feb 14th, 2007 07:23 AM

I just cleared our driveway here in the northern end of the Shenandaoh Valley. We lucked out and only got about three inches of snow and about a half inch of ice on top of that. The sun is now shining brightly and it is warming up nicely..

SuzieC Feb 14th, 2007 07:29 AM

Thank Gucci indeed Marginal-M, new husband's company is closed, mine is not, he's going to go do that "grocery" shopping as well.
Hellsbells, its Valentines Day and my roses will not be delivered. Harummph... <G>
Stay warm and safe y'all

yestravel Feb 14th, 2007 07:34 AM

Leaving from IAD later this afternoon and barring any unforeseen "weather events" in the next 5 hours, optimisitic we'll make it.....

Fidel Feb 14th, 2007 07:38 AM

Happy Valentine's Day to all the travelers on the Europe Board!

hetismij Feb 14th, 2007 07:40 AM

Please can you send just a fraction of it to Europe??? Pretty please. We had winter last Thursday, for half a day here in Holland.......

jodeenyc Feb 14th, 2007 09:02 AM

Mike I hope you have good luck getting into NYC today. Right now in the city is a horrible mix of sleet/ice/snow. I can't see buildings 4 blocks away. Not sure of airport status....

SusanP Feb 14th, 2007 09:04 AM

I'd be happy to send some over. Just how do I do that? :-d

I spent an hour this morning shoveling a path through about a foot of snow. Two hours later, I needed to do it again, but I'm waiting a little bit. Good thing I did the first round, or I wouldn't get out of the house! Sure glad I don't have a flight leaving today or tomorrow!

NeoPatrick Feb 14th, 2007 09:12 AM

Gee, all this cold weather, all these business closings, all these people home from work, and all happening on Valentine's Day? I'm wondering how high the birth rate might be around November 14, 2007.

SuzieC Feb 14th, 2007 09:52 AM

er.. Neo? Those days are done!

But I'm still trying to get to Carnegie Hall (practice, practice, practice)

grandmere Feb 15th, 2007 07:33 AM

Did everyone get to leave for Europe as planned? Sure hope so!