Search

Liverpool to Stockport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liverpool to Stockport

Hi

Good Morning. I find forums so good that I plan my entire vacation depending on the responses I get from here. We are a family of 4 travelling from dallas and going to Manchester for work. In between we have a couple of days and we want to take day trips from Manchester. From investigation I would like to go to Liverpool and stockport on the same day. Is it possible? First we want to take a train from Manchester to Liverpool. Spend the morning, look at the beatles birthplace and take a walk of the city and after lunch take a train from Liverpool to stockport to see the Tudor mansions. Please let me know if this is doable and if not any other recommendations for day trips from Manchester and what else to see both in Liverpool and Stockport. Our family has 2 adults and 2 kids and the kids are older teens. We are interested in anything history and adventure.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 09:42 AM

I can't really contribute to your initital question, but not far from Stockport you have Lyme.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lyme
I thought it was a splendid house and very nice grounds to spend some time exploring. I think I did Lyme as a 1/2 day trip.
Very easy to reach by train from Manchester/Stockport via Disley station (plus walking).
Disley village also has several very nice looking pubs. But more the upmarket gastro pub version, if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 11:48 AM

There is so much in Liverpuddle that you really need a day to do it justice - best I think to join a Beatles bus tour- such as the Magical Mystery Tour accopanied by, of course. Beatles' tunes - as the various sights associated with them - like the houses they grew up in, Penny Lane, etc are spread around the city - there is also a Beatles Experience, the Cavern Club, etc - renovated port area - new and old cathedrals:

https://www.visitliverpool.com/thing...ulture/museums

why not do two day trips - one to Stockport with some other place like cowboy suggests.

For something different from Manchester check out nearby Blackpool, England's most famous and popular seaside resort with in it an amusement park kids may like and the famous Blackpool Tower - one of Britain's most prominent historical monuments. If going from mid-August to early November the famous Blackpool Lights (Illuminations) are also very famous. So for a taste of something every different check out Blackpool - a favorite getaway for Manchurians or whatever they call Manchester folk. Not for everyone's taste but something extremely popular with many Brits.

Tourist Information & Things To Do In Blackpool | Visit Blackpool
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is way more than enough to fill your time in Liverpool than just a morning. Where are you starting in Manchester? The train journey from the central city to Liverpool Central or James Street will take a little over an hour and from Central to Stockport is another 1.5 hours. Whereas Stockport is just on the south edge of Manchester.

It would be much better if you could do the two on different day trips. They are sort of in opposite directions
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 11:56 AM

And ignore the recommendation re Blackpool
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 12:09 PM

Jan you mix up once again giving options, which some folks may love (like ordinary Brits) with recommendations -what's wrong with mentioning something that some folks especially families) may like - yes hard for you to believe but possible.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 01:22 PM

Every time you dredge up Blackpool everyone tells you it is a hole. It is not nice . . . REALLY isn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...de-deprivation

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...pital-12043909

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...town-1-9097280

Now quit telling families to go there.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.is there any other trips you could suggest for Manchester. We have a full day and we come the previous day. We stay in Manchester for 4 nights working for only a day and an half.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 02:27 PM

You could rent a car and explore the Peak District including visiting Chatsworth. That would be my first choice over Stockport and even Liverpool (Liverpool is great though)
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

We want to stay away from having to drive nad just want to use trains. What about going to Conway for an entire day
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could visit Conwy, or maybe Chester.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 04:22 PM

Conwy would be great -- but (again it depending on exactly where you will be in Manchester) it will take 2 to 2.5 hours each way by train.

Chester would be easier -- 1 to 1.5 hours each way.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Now we are planning to rent a car. We are staying at the De Vere Cranage estate in Manchester
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by kellieR
Thank you. Now we are planning to rent a car. We are staying at the De Vere Cranage estate in Manchester

You do realize that is not IN Manchester? It is a Country House hotel in a rural area 25 miles from Manchester. You will definitely 100% need a car. It is 45 mins from Manchester by train . . . and 2 hours from Liverpool.

Last edited by janisj; Jun 1st, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk about the middle of nowhere. And according to the reviews the service leaves something to be desired, maybe because it is in the middle of nowhere.

It is 45 mins from Manchester by train
And first you have to get to the train station - nearly two miles from the hotel. I suppose the good news is that Chester is about the same distance as Manchester, and with the car you aren't that far from the Peak District. But driving right off a long flight is a really bad idea.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 10:39 AM

Sounds like Manchester would be a day trip in itself!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

Tatton Park would be a nice day out from Cranage.
Tatton Park
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we need a bit of clarification here. If you are working in Manchester, why the heck are you staying in Crewe and rural Crewe at that? It's a nightmare to get to or from Manchester in the rush hour by train and certainly by road. Are you working in central Manchester or some far flung suburb? Chester is much nearer to Crewe than Manchester for a day trip and is a lovely city.

As a MANCUNIAN, Pal please note spelling, I would strongly suggest that you stay elsewhere unless you're working close by. If this accommodation has been booked by someone else ask them to reconsider it. Avoid Blackpool like the plague.

Come back with a bit more info and I can help more constructively.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:31 AM

If you are staying in the De Vere Cranage and have a rental car, you can reach the seaside towns of Rhyl, Prestatyn, Conwy, Llandudno etc. You could also visit Chester. To the east of the hotel is the peak district which is really beautiful, lots of traditional villages. I have no idea what there would be to see in Stockport, it is or was a well to do suburb of Manchester, not much for a tourist AFAIK.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 03:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odin, like most places Stockport has changed over the years. There are parts of Stockport with an SK postcode that are still OK, but the town itself and areas immediately around it are not great. The SK code extends for a fair distance. The centre has a poor shopping area, but does have the Underground shelters dating back to WW2 which are extremely interesting. The rest is not worth a visit. Bramall Hall, the Tudor House, takes an hour at best and there is a hat museum in the town. Ordsall Hall in Salford is much nearer to Manchester centre and is more worthwhile.

I'd avoid Rhyl and Prestatyn, but Llandudno or Conwy are good to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -