Liverpool Street St to Hilton London Olympia Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stay in Hilton London Olympia Hotel at Kensington Hign Street after our Sept 2007 Northern Europe cruise.
What is the best/cheap transport from Liverpool street station to our hotel, by tube or taxi ? any body stay in this hotel before?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can manage the luggage the best will be the tube. There are several routes you could take - which is best will depend on if there are any delays, shutdowns on any tube lines on the day. (Tube service problems are posted on signs in each tube station so you can decide at the time)

One route would be Liverpool Street to Notting Hill Gate on the Central line and then District line to Earls Court and then another district line train one stop to Olympia

Or Circle line to Earls Court, and then District line to Olympia.

There are other combinations but these two will get you there.

I just stayed at the Hilton Olympia in Feb (great Priceline win). I wouldn't choose it at full price - not because there is ANYTHING wrong w/ the hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 day stay. Large, clean room and good service. But Olympia is sort of out of the center and it takes a bit more planning/time to get places because it is on a spur of the District line. I never had to wait more than about 10 minutes for a train at Earls court - but just the extra transfer made things take longer. But there are several very useful bus routes that go right past the hotel, so transport isn't really that much of a problem if you got a good rate.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'd advise not staying anywhere that requires a tube stop at Earls Court or Olympia. It's just too inconvenient.
The Number 11 bus goes from Liverpool Street right through the City and along the Strand, through Westminster all the way to Fulham so anywhere along its route would be good.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Circle Line doesn't go to Earls Court but you could change from Circle to District (wait on the same platform) at any station between Monument and South Kensington, and then again at Earls Court (wait on the same platform for the Olympia train). But it does seem a bit of a way out.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM

One or two Tube changes? Not on your life. How about one simple bus change with zero walking?

The following buses stop at <font color="red"><b>L</b></font> adjacent to the hotel:

27 (24 hrs)

See this map for your sightseeing: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/cen_bus.pdf (the Hilton is off the left edge where it says &quot;To Hammersmith&quot.

From Liverpool Street, I'd take the 8 to Hyde Park Corner (stop <font color="red"><b>E</b></font, then the 9 from the same stop to the hotel.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM

As you are coming off a cruise I presume this means you are coming from Harwich

If so getting a train to Stratford then another train to Olympia might work out better for you

See www.nationalrail.co.uk

if it isn't could you tell us your arrival point in the UK as that will give a better idea of what routings are possible
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM

take a taxi. if you travel like most people i know who go on cruises, i doubt you could handle the luggage on bus OR tube.

Once you are in this hotel, there are several buses that are very convenient and take you everywhere.(victoria station included)

i wrote a report somewhere with this info.. and we used the bus every night to come back from the theater district.
there was a stop that dropped us across the street from the hotel.

this hotel is not convenient to the tube, so LEARN your busses as robespierre has suggested. they are easy, clean and cheap. also, it gives you a great tour everyday as you go in and out of town &quot;center&quot;.
we loved it.

kensington palace is nearby. we went to the orangery for tea and breakfast.

i also got this hotel on priceline, but would go back if the rate were as good.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I posted after PatrickLondon's but it seems to have vanished in the ether.

Meant to say that I knew the circle line doesn't go to Earl's Court - I was focused on explaining the District line Olympia spur that I forgot to mention switching at Gloucester Rd or S. Kens.

All our talk about the Hilton makes it sound like it is out in the &quot;burbs&quot; - but really it is in &quot;central&quot; London - just not <b><u>central</u></b> and is stuck off on its own short tube spur. It does mean getting places by tube may take 10 or 15 minutes longer - but w/ all the buses on Kens High street you can get anywhere you want.

W/ a good rate it is a perfectly fine place to stay. If you are paying near rack rate - not so much.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all information.
If we take taxi, how much is the cost?
we won this hotel at priceline US75.00+tax p/night.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:59 PM

will depend on traffic.
our two taxis we took were astronomical IMHO compared to everything else.

sometimes it is just part of the expense of the trip.
what can you do?

when you get there, decide if you can manage public trans., and the taxi can tell you an approx. amount.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:41 AM

if you can't manage you luggage on the tube or buses - then a taxi is about your only option - but it will cost a lot since you are crossing all of central London from Liverpool Street to Olympia. Just how much partly depends on the time of day/traffic.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM

how are you getting to liverpool street station from cruise? maybe there is another option that is closer to a shorter taxi ride.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

After the cruise, we take &quot;oneRailway&quot; train from Harwich International Port to Liverpool Street station.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; maybe there is another option that is closer to a shorter taxi ride. &gt;&gt;&gt;

As I said earlier DIRECT train to Stratford, DIRECT train to Olympia, then a very short walk. Much easier than faffing about with Liverpool Street, Tube, Bus and/or taxi
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM

yes - you don't want to be dithering about at Liverpool street station. Take trains all the way to Olympia . . . . .
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM

You'd still have to change at Willesden Junction (I don't think there are any direct trains between Stratford and Olympia), and I suspect there's a change of platforms involved. Plus it takes at least an hour.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Yes there are - for example

Depart: 07:12 Stratford (London) (SRA)
Arrive: 08:02 Kensington Olympia (KPA)
Travel By: Train
Train Company:

* Silverlink to Clapham Junction (CLJ)