Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Little Time in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/little-time-in-paris-40730/)

Eva Mar 23rd, 1999 09:50 AM

Little Time in Paris

I am travelling to Amsterdam at the end of April and plan to go to Paris for a day and a half. Can you recommend a nice but moderately priced hotel in the Left Bank area? Also, any recommendation on must sees? Part of my visit will be on a Monday, are most attractions open? Thanks for your help

daniel Mar 23rd, 1999 11:42 AM

Eva, <BR> <BR>We stayed at Hotel Pascal in the 5th. It is really cheap for a room with a bathroom and shower. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure what the price for a single with bath/shower is, but you can check on www.123france.com. They have their ad there. <BR> <BR>Also, if you have only one day, then I suggest doing nothing but taking it easy and just hanging out like in Jardin du Luxembourg or around Notre Dame or Bastille area and just watch the people there. It sounds boring but it is so enjoyable. Sit in a cafe and watch the Parisian world. <BR> <BR>Daniel

Lee Mar 23rd, 1999 12:32 PM

Eva: Although 1 1/2 days is just a ripple in a pond, it beats nothing. <BR> <BR>I would get on a Metro and get off at Trocadero and go up to the top of the tower. It will give you goosebumps to do it, trust me. <BR> <BR>Then do what Daniel suggested. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip! <BR>

Monica Mar 23rd, 1999 12:42 PM

I'm going to France in May (second trip there). If I had only 1 day in Paris (a full day in Paris), I would start by seeing Notre Dame Cathedral, spend a little time on the Left bank (Blvds: St. Germaine, St. Michel, and rue de Buci for it's outdoor market); I would head over to the Louvre area (probably no time to visit the museum): see I.M. Pei's glass pyramid, Tullieries gardens, and the surrounding area; walk down the Champs Elysees (see all the expensive shops and tourists!) to the Arch de Triomphe (go to the top for its views). I'd head over to the Eiffel Tower (it can take up to 2 hours to get to the top, so you'll have to figure out if you have the time); have a late afternoon drink at an outdoor cafe and dine at a restaurant filled with Parisians. <BR> <BR>If I had more time (since you're saying 1-1/2 days) there is the Sacre Coeur and the nearby Place du Teatre which is very touristy, but fun. The views of Paris from the Sacre Coeur are great! <BR> <BR>Another option if you have the time is to visit the Louvre or Museum D'Orsay (my favorite!). <BR> <BR>I'll be staying at Grand Hotel des Balcons (about $92) for two people and complete bathroom). Email me if interested in hotel numbers. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

elaine Mar 23rd, 1999 12:58 PM

Hi Eva, <BR>The Louvre is open on Mondays; unfortunately the musee D'Orsay and several other top museums are closed. <BR>For sightseeing, if you walk from Notre Dame to Ste Chapelle to the Louvre, visiting those places along the way, you will have seen 3 of the best things in Paris, in my opinion. Of course go see the Eiffel Tower as well, you can get there by metro. Whether it is important for you to go to the top is up to you. Walk from the Eiffel Tour to <BR>the Arc de Triomphe, and from there down the Champs Elysees to Place de la Concorde.You will have covered a lot of ground. On your half day cover your Left Bank neighborhood, browse in the shops, have a snack or lunch at a cafe, perhaps sit outdoors if the weather is good. <BR>That's how I would do it. <BR>Have fun.