Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Little gems in or near southern Germany/Austria?

Jun 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi! My husband just won a contest through his company, and the prize is a trip to Germany (their factory is near Frankfurt). We will be there about a week and a half late September, so Okterberfest is a must. We are also planning on visiting Salzburg as we didnt' make it there last time we were in that area. That leaves us about 3 days to visit another place (and travel and and from it most likely) and my question is where should we go? We are not opposed to flying (we have been considering Venice but hopefully we would be able to fly out from there then) but do you have any suggestions that are closer? Somewhere accessible by public transportation would be best. We are generally drawn to smaller towns or smaller cities(loved Cinque Terre, Cesky Krumlov, Florence, not so much with Madrid, Vienna) and have already seen a lot of Europe so we would like to take this unexpected opportunity to visit somewhere we might not normally get to. Any thoughts on quaint little villages or must-sees in the Frankfurt/Munich/Salzburg or surrounding areas? We have already been to Fussen and Rothenburg. Thanks!
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM

I would go to Mittenwald. And maybe Prien, if the weather be good. We did Munich, Saltzburg, Prien and Mitttenwald last Sept. Had a great time. Did it all with the Bayern day tickets. Really inexpensive and a really great time. Can't be more specific right now - just came back from our local brew pub. More later. CJ
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Hi,

I'd like to 2nd Mittenwald. Postcard perfect Bavarian village surrounded by mountains. The train station is an easy (and level) 5 or so min. walk from the pedestrian zone. Plenty to see/do in the area.
Karwendelbahn cable car in Mittenwald
The Zugspitze and Garmisch
Ettal Monestary
Ludwig's Linderhof Palace
Innsbruck

Paul
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM

We certainly enjoyed Mittenwald and since you won't have a car, it might be the best alternative for you.

You might also consider St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee, Austria. There is no train service but you can take a bus from Salzburg directly to St. Gilgen in less than an hour.

Once there, you can take a short boat ride across the lake to St. Wolfgang. There is also a cable car that goes from St. Gilgen up to the Zwölferhorn Mtn and a old steam train that goes from St. Wolfgang to Schafberg Mtn. When the weather is clear you can see a number of lakes and mountains from the top of both Zwölferhorn and Schafberg. It's gorgeous.

http://www.salzkammergut.at/en/3-07-...lfgangsee.html

http://www.12erhorn.at/

http://www.schafbergbahn.at/media/sc...rt_2010_en.pdf

If you decide to go to St. Gilgen, pls consider staying at the Hotel Schernthaner. It's a lovely family run hotel.

http://www.hotel-schernthaner.at/sei...sh/index_e.htm
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Melk with it's spectacular abbey and adorable Durnstein in Austria
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input! I love the idea of hanging out in a smaller town. That said, would it be worth it to skip Salzburg entirely and do Mittenwald or St. Gilgen instead?
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM

I don't think that I'd skip Salzburg.

Hallstatt is another lovely tiny village.
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Salzburg IS a beautiful town and the old part is easy to see in a day or less. I also love small towns, but Salzburg is one of my favorite places.
Jun 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM

I would not skip Salzburg. We went to St. Gilgen last year also and I will tell you, if it is rainy and you are doing public transportation, I don't reccomend it. So much depends on the weather. The weather doesn't matter so much in Saltzburg, you just get the umbrella out and go. St. Gilgen is very small and not the place to be if it is rainy. CJ
Jun 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Hi bjamie,

Of the three places you're considering, I'd opt for either Mittenwald or St. Gilgen. But then I don't like cities, even very pretty and interesting cities close to nature, so Salzburg isn't high on my must-return-to list.

I loved St. Gilgen. I didn't have a car, and let me tell you, it is just delightful. Yes, the village itself is small (and very charming), but the best is all outside of it. You can walk all the way around the lake (I did it in stages over about three days) and visit the other towns on the lake. You can also visit the other towns and villages by ferry. And my favorite day by far was the day I rented a bike and rode from St. Gilgen to Strobl, about 12 kms, on bike paths. It was wonderful!

And I spent about five weeks in Mittenwald; in fact, it was that visit that prompted me to move to Bavaria (I now live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen). It is a wonderful and picturesque village, and the mountains in the neighborhood are stunning. There are multiple walks you can take, either flat or ascending/descending, or you can just take a cable car up to a peak and sit at a mountaintop restaurant. Again, I didn't have a car, and the public transport in this area is well developed.

I do think that you'll be very happy with whichever town you choose; these are all winners!

Have fun!

s
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM

I LOve Salzburg too - we enjoyed staying there 3 days.
Mittenwald is a great choice too.
The lake Distric near Salzburg has lovely little villages...
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM

My favourite destination in Europe is a tiny Austrian village called Jenbach. It is a favourite with train fanatics because of its frequency of trains which have to pass the station on the way to Italy ,Bavaria,Switzerland etc. Old steam trains dominate the area around the station.

I have been going there for many years to use as a base for day trips to many places in Austria, Germany and Italy.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...rian_Alps.html

The town is very quaint but the greatest thing about staying here is the vast number of day trips to fantastic places.

Bolzano,Italy/Marano Italy/Mayorhof,Austria/Innsbruck,Austria/Alphbach,Austria/Kufstein,Germany...the list goes on...just look at a map and see the destinations available by train for day trips........assuming of course you like trains?
Jun 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Prien especially if you are interested in seeing the largest and most extensively decorated "palace" of all the Ludwig builds: Herrenchiemsee. Easily worth the time and effort IMO; have you considered Brechtesgaden? The possibility of a "cruise" on the nearby Koenigsee? You might even enjoy the area around Oberammergau even though the Psssion Play is currently underway.

And no, I wouldn't skip Salzburg, either.
Jun 11th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Near to Frankfurt we really enjoyed Wurzburg, a lovely small city on the river. Bamberg is another very pleasant option and can be a base or a great day trip from Wurzburg.

Regensburg is a lovely small city within easy access by train.

Salzburg is always a pleasure IMO and I have spent weeks there over the years. It has great options for dining and lodging and is an excellent base for day trips into the Salzkammergut.

We like small to mid size cities so these work for us. Smaller villages like St. Gilgen and Mittenwald are perfect day trips but we like the options staying in a small city offers versus a village.
Jun 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I also wouldn't skip Salzburg if you haven't been before. It's one of our favorite "small old towns". Easy to simply walk around and see the sights.

Paul
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Salzburg is definitely worth a visit. While there you could go to Berchtesgaden and visit Hitler's Eagle's Nest. B-Gaden is just a short ride from Salzburg.
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM

If you do happen to go to Berchtesgaden and are interested in the Eagle's Nest I would recommend David and Christine Harper's tour. It was the most informative and entertaining tour I have taken but I do have a high interest in WWII history. My wife is only mildly interested in WWII stuff but she thought it was a great tour as well. Information here:

http://www.eagles-nest-historical-to...ex.php?navid=2

Lane
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM

And if you visit the Kehlsteinhaus, wich is sick to do imho, you should also visit the guy's birthplace not far from Salzburg in Braunau. It's a very nice village, make photos of the plaque in front of it.