Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Listening to portable CD player on board airplane - was told I can't?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Lisa

I was told by my travel agent that I will be unable to use my portable CD player on board Alitalia for the loonngg 12 hour flight!! Has this been anyone's experience? What about a tape player? I was going to take a couple of "books on tape" Feedback?? Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Meg

My husband always takes his disc player and has never been told no on any flight. Good luck!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:05 AM
aphra

There's no safety reason why you wouldn't be allowed--I have listened to CDs on recent flights between NYC and Detroit and NYC and Dallas without any interference from the crew. You should confirm with Alitalia direct--unless they have different rules, your travel agent is misinformed.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:08 AM
stacey

Haven't flown Alitalia but have never had a problem with a CD player on any flight. You can't use it during take-off or landing , but that's all.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I think this may be a difference between US and European airlines. <BR> <BR>On Delta, it's fine above 10,000 feet, but I seem to remember on Sabena and maybe Air France that they were not allowed at all. <BR> <BR>Sounds strange, but then Sabena would not hand out blankets until we reached a comfortable cruising altitude "for safety reasons".

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Laura

I have travelled Aliatalia before and used a cd player or tape player. You will be asked not to use it druing landing and takeoff, but after that, you are free to use it.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:47 AM
janice

I've never been able to use a CD player on Alitalia, but I was allowed to use a tape player. <BR>And on other airlines, after we got to some altitude known only to the gods of airline travel, I was allowed to use either one. <BR>I've started taking a tape player instead of CD player because I've been more likely to be allowed to use it, and it uses fewer batteries (but the tapes are bigger - oh well)

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:49 AM
christina

ciao lisa <BR> <BR>with swissair, crossair or lauda air it's absolutly forbidden. once a flight attendant thought i have a cd. player and runned to me to tell me HOW forbidden it is....... could be a safety reason on european airlines. <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:50 AM
kate

As a flight attendant, I hope that our airline regs are the same as Alitalia-you cannot use your CD player during taxi, take-off, landing---any other time should not be a problem. Call the airline directly to confirm-have a great time.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Vanessa

I have used a tape player on Sabena and Virgin-Atlantic, and didn't have a problem. One weird thing I had a flight attendent say to me on Virgin-Atlantic was that the armrest next to me had to be kept down, even though there was no one sitting next to me. Never had a problem with lifted armrests on any domestic flights.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Lisa

Wow - thank you so much to everyone who replied, I didn't expect so many responses. It seems that one thing is certain after reading all of your responses - and that is that nothing is certain!! I was interested at how many different rules seem to be followed depending on: airline you are flying, whether the flight is domestic or international, and if you get "caught". To be safe, I will take both CD and tape player. Again, thanks so much!! <BR> <BR>It seems like there are some other funky rules out there revolving around "safety" (blanket distribution, armrest position.... interesting).

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Joanna

Just paid heed not to use them during takeoffs and landings. There is a theory that the Swissair crash was due to interference from a passenger using a mobile phone during takeoff. If it has the potential to interfere with the plane's equipment you'd have to be crazy to put everyone at risk.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:04 PM
tammy

<BR>Yikes!!!!! We should all pay attention to this.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Jim

Yep, on Alitalia last summer my son was prohibited from using his CD player for the entire flight both ways.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Dick

Assuming that "the Swissair crash" referred to is SR 111 that crashed off Halifax about three, there is no possibility that a cell phone was involved - the crash occurred approximately one hour after takeoff and has been definitively tied to an onboard insulation fire.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Dick

Meant to say "about three years ago" - sorry for the typo.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:58 AM
hans

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a scientific study (anecdotal info doesn't count)that shows that cell phones or other consumer electronic devices interfere with aircraft operation. If anyone one knows of any, I would like to see it. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 07:20 AM
frank

As some airlines hand out portable DVD players during the flight the rule is obviously silly. <BR>Only on take off and landing is it a prob. <BR>NB there is a difference between analog tape machines & CD/DVD/DAT.Digital equipment radiates RF quite heavily.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Wilt

&lt;&lt;there has never been a scientific study (anecdotal info doesn't count)that shows that cell phones or other consumer electronic devices interfere with aircraft operation. If anyone one knows of any, I would like to see it.&gt;&gt; <BR> In fact, I had heard that the FAA was not the agency 'prohibiting cell phone use' but that the FCC is the proper agency. 'Safety' was not the reason for the ban, but the fact that cell phones 'hand off' from cell to cell and travelling at 550mph, that happens every half minute...causing the phone networks to go nuts! (How on-board phones cope with this isn't dealt with!) <BR> <BR>