Lisbon: What to do in 4 days

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 12:28 PM
Ismael Libanio

Lisbon: What to do in 4 days

In our next trip to Europe we'll spend 4 days in Lisbon. I'd like to receive your uptodate comments about what to do.
Thanks, Ismael

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 01:09 PM
Aurora

Two out-of-town palaces are very much worth visiting. Queluz -- a miniature Versailles. Sintra -- a Moorish delight. Day tours easily arranged when you get to Lisbon. We did not particularly care for Estoril, but you might enjoy it.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 10:24 PM
joel

We're going to Portugal for two weeks in mid-December. Any must-sees in Lisbon, on the way to the Algarve and in the Algarve. Or any other place in Portugal. Have never been there before. Thanks! Joel

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 06:39 AM
Tom

I was in Lisbon last December. I too highly recommend Sintra (although I would spend at least one night there at one of the fabulous posadas). In Lisbon, spend plenty of time wandering the neighborhoods in between all the standard attractions. Our best meal by far was at O Cantinho do Bem Estar, Rua do Norte 46. Try the Port Institute for a great selection of reasonably priced ports after dinner.

For Joel's posting, I would definetely hit Evora on the way to the Algarve. Once there, we truely enjoyed Tavira, Lagos and Sagres.

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 09:07 AM
marie

I agree with Sintra. You might also want to try Caiscais (sp?). Its a 30 minute train ride from the city and is a nice seaside town. I also heard Evora is not to be missed. We stayed at the Lisboa e Tejo and loved that hotel. About $100/per night during the Expo Season. Check out Rick Steves' web site or book for more information.

http://www.ricksteves.com/home.htm

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 12:41 PM
Ismael Libanio

Thank you for your kind replies. They will be a great help.
Thanks agains, Ismael

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 03:02 PM
Ellen

I whole heartedly agree with the other posters regarding Quelez (allow 1/2 day tops)- don't overlook it!

For Estoril/Cascais (they are about 5 min apart by train), not too much to get excited about. I enjoyed it and you may want to go there late afternoon to walk around and eat dinner there in an outdoor cafe.

Sintra is fantastic. Be sure to check with the tourist office in Lisbon because there are two palaces (Sintra palace and Pena palace). Both are great but try to go on a day where both are open. Just to warn you, there are magnificent pottery shops around Sintra palace so be prepared!
Ellen

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 10:36 AM
Betty Ann

We just returned from Portugal and loved it. A few suggestions in Lisbon: 1)Trolley car #28 (catch it downtown in one of the main squares - look for the signs at street corners with the trolley car #'s on them). We took it east (toward St Georges castle) for quite a distance, got off, crossed the street and got on one going back downtown. Car #28 goes through the Alfama district. At one point the street was so narrow, some pedestrians had to push a parked car out of the way so the trolley could get through. Great sights. Be sure to have very small bills. The conductor couldn't change what we thought was a small bill. 2) Staying right downtown is so convenient, you can walk to so many things. We stayed at Hotel Metropole overlooking the fountain and the flower sellers in Rossio Square for $100/night. 3) The Coaches Museum was very interesting - much more so than I was expecting. 4) We don't usually go to flea markets at home but the Sat AM flea market in the Alfama was great! We took a cab from the hotel - very cheap. 5) We checked out city tour brochures and then asked the hotel about a car and driver. We had a driver, with very good English, and a new Mercedes for 4 hours. With a good tip, it was the same price as going on a bus with 40 other people! We could spend as much or as little time at each sight as we wanted and we eliminated one sight we had seen on our own, the day before. 6)We really enjoyed the Botanical Gardens, near Edward VII Park. 7)We felt very safe walking around at night - the only warning we had was to watch your purse on the trolley. 8) There are ATM's everywhere. 9)The Hotel Mundial, about a block from Rossio Square, approx $120/night, has a good restaurant on the top floor with a great view of the castle from the roof garden one flight of stairs up. Hope this helps.
Away from Lisbon, be sure to visit Obidos - fantastic! With 4 days, you could rent a car for one day and go to Obidos, Mafra and Nazare. Auto Jardim has very good rates. You will love Portugal and Lisbon. Have fun. E-mail me direct if I can help further.