Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lisbon questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lisbon-questions-477460/)

globetraveller Sep 29th, 2004 11:09 AM

Lisbon questions

Hi all.

We will be going to Lisbon in a week and a half and need some questions clarified.

1.If going to Sintra for a daytrip, is there enough time to really see both palaces thoroughly?

2.Is the Sao Jorge castelo area closed at night? or is it a general housing neighborhood open to everyone at all times?

3.We have a 6am departing flight and need to get to the airport early, what is the taxi fare from baixa area to the airport? is there another way to get there so early? we believe other transportation does not run so early.

4.Any good markets in town?

5.Any other good day trips besides Sintra, Estoril and Cascais?

6.Is the Jeronimo monastery really as good as some guidebooks claim?

Thanks beforehand.

aj Sep 29th, 2004 11:41 AM

We were in Lisbon two years ago and loved the city. I think the Jeronimo Monastery was one the best sights in Lisbon. We went there twice. It is one of the most beautiful monasteries I have seen. Do not miss it. I don't know if the castelo is open at night but try taking the tram up the hill and then walking down the winding road through the neighborhoods. It is great to see how the local folks live. Enjoy Lisbon!

Kristinelaine Sep 29th, 2004 03:37 PM

I am also interested in the answers to globetraveller's questions. Any more help on this one?

traveldawg Sep 29th, 2004 03:52 PM

We were in Sintra in May. You can do it easily in a day trip out of Lisbon.

globetraveller Sep 29th, 2004 10:19 PM

thanks for the answers so far.

here is another question:
is lisbon safe? are there any neighborhoods to avoid at night, or even in the day? pickpockets?

thanks.

Toninha Sep 30th, 2004 05:04 AM

1. In my opinion You need two days for Sintra. You may see in Sintra:
-Moorish Castle
-Monastery of Capuchos
-Peninha Chapel
-Quinta da Regaleira
-Monserrate Palace (one of the most interesting examples of Sintra Romanticism)
-National Palace
-Pena Palace
-Seteais Palace

2.Castelo de São Jorge:
Summer: 09h00/21h00 (March to October)
Winter: 09h00/18h00 (November to February)

3. 7/10 euros by Taxi. Depends of the place or day/night.

4. Yes. You have "Armazens do Chiado" for example.

5.You have many good places to see. depends if you have a car or not.

6. Very beautiful! You will see...

davidx Sep 30th, 2004 08:09 AM

Try a day trip to Obidos - completely walled city.
Also if you want you can get a bus between Sintra and Cascais, making it possible to do a round trip from Lisbon. [trains between Lisbon and both towns are frequent and cheap.

Ryan Sep 30th, 2004 08:29 AM

Unless you plan on spending time at the beach, you can see Estoril fairly easily. I might suggest the nicest way to see both Estoril and Cascais is by renting a car and driving up the coastal road.

San Jeronimos is definately worthwhile.

In terms of pickpockets, I felt less concerned about it in Lisbon then I have in Rome or Paris. That said, in any tourist city it's probably a good idea to make sure you keep aware of your wallet.

rjhjerpe Sep 30th, 2004 09:02 AM

The train that runs up the coast from Lisbon to Cascais...passing Estoril is a great way to see the area. you can get off in Estoril and continue on to Cascais.
Jean

Monalisa Sep 30th, 2004 03:17 PM

We spent 2 days at Sintra so we wouldn't have to rush. The first day we went to the National palace and shopped and had a leisurely lunch then took the train to Queluz (on the way back to Lisbon) to see it's palace. The second day we went straight to the castle and then the Pena palace. However, if you get there early you could do it in one day. We had a 7AM departure from the airport so the taxi still used the night rates. Including a small tip we spent 15 euros on our taxi. The Jeronimos Monastery is DEFINITELY worth it. Obidos is a nice day trip, but the train connection in Cacem was a nightmare!

globetraveller Sep 30th, 2004 09:37 PM

thanks for all your replies.

Peep Oct 1st, 2004 01:16 AM

Hello! We spent a week around Lisbon at Easter and loved it! We felt quite safe, no problems at all, although we were approached at least once a day in Lisbon with offers to buy drugs. We spent 4 nights in Sintra and traveled around from there then about the same in Lisbon. I think we must've missed something at Jeronimos because while the architecture was cool, there wasn't much to see. But you might as well go check it out and while you're down there, you can also see the discovery monument and the old fort in the water.

Person_X Oct 3rd, 2004 02:28 PM

Globetraveller:

I returned from a two week trip to Lisbon, Sintra, Obidos, Coimbra, and Oporto two days ago. Here is my two cents:

You asked about the safety of Lisbon neighborhoods. I walked alone through many areas of the city at night and felt reasonably safe.

There do seem to be a lot of "Street Pharmacist" types who will approach you and inquire as to whether you would like to purchase hashish or cocaine. These were particularly prevelant in the Baixa area and near the Rossio station. As a young male tourist walking alone, I probably fit the profile of a potential buyer...I don't imagine couples or groups get bothered as much. But for me this happened constantly. Once I was approached three times in five minutes as I was walking north toward Rossio.

I took a taxi to the airport from the Marquis de Pombal circle (north of where you will be and slightly closer to the airport) and the fare was 7.50 euros. I think the taxi is your best bet considering your early departure.

The Baxia has a ton of shops, so if you want to do some shopping this is a good location. If by "market" you mean an open-air flea market kind of affair, I didn't notice any (but I wasn't looking either).

The castle is closed in the evening. However, you can walk around in the vicinity of the castle if you want. It is mostly residential and there are a few good views across the city. However, it involves a lot of steep hills and some climbing. Also keep in mind that the neighborhood in the vicinity of the castle is comprised of narrow, poorly-lit alleys and streets, which wind around a lot and are easy to get lost in at night.

Hope this all helps.