Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lisbon Portugal: beware; assualted and robbed, october 2103 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lisbon-portugal-beware-assualted-and-robbed-october-2103-a-996302/)

tecolote Oct 28th, 2013 01:09 PM

Lisbon Portugal: beware; assualted and robbed, october 2103

Lisbon Portugal: Our son was assualted and robbed just outside our hotel (clarion Suites) in the morning by five individuals on october 1st 2103. this occured near plaza mombai.

lowcountrycarol Oct 28th, 2013 01:28 PM

I am sorry that happened and hope that he was not harmed. Your post, being so short and to the point leaves me wondering if you want to alarm travelers to Portugal, just warn them or vent.
It is an awful fact that this can happen anywhere.

I have traveled to Portugal two or three times a year for a month each time for the past 25 years and do see changes. The Portuguese have always been of the most kind, friendly and helpful to tourists in all of Europe but there has been a huge influx of immigrants from other countries for a variety of reasons. There is more crime in Portugal now as their economic situation is unfortunately not very good. I wonder if your son's attackers were Portuguese or from some other country?

lowcountrycarol Oct 28th, 2013 01:30 PM

I assume you did not mean the year 2103, but you did write that twice??

Goldens Oct 28th, 2013 01:39 PM

I am sorry this happened to your son.

lincasanova Oct 28th, 2013 01:46 PM

wow. I hope he is all right.

lobo_mau Oct 28th, 2013 02:03 PM

Near plaza mombai?

michelhuebeli Oct 28th, 2013 03:06 PM

It's near Pombal - Praça Marquês de Pombal (Marquis of Pombal Square)

thursdaysd Oct 28th, 2013 05:09 PM

I am very sorry to hear that, as I have always felt safe in Lisbon. I hope your son is OK.

Could you provide some more details? What time in the morning? What exactly happened?

nytraveler Oct 28th, 2013 05:45 PM

Yes, it would be helpful to know the specifics and what the police did.

welltraveledbrit Oct 28th, 2013 07:06 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about this, an assault by so many people sounds awful. I hope your son is recovering.

bilboburgler Oct 29th, 2013 04:45 AM

Nasty, i hope he is ok?

More details may protect others.

ter2000 Oct 29th, 2013 07:15 AM

My handbag was stolen in Lisbon a couple of years ago. It was hanging on the back of my chair, in a bar (stupid of me, I know - I wouldn't do that at home). The Staff in the bar were lovely, and took myself and my husband to the local tourist police station where I could fill out forms and make a statement. The police - who were very kind - told us that opportunistic theft like that was very common in Lisbon, but that assaults are very rare. I'm sorry this happened to your son - I hope he is all right.

alex_c Oct 30th, 2013 03:10 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are all ok. Unfortunately, robberies are reported everyday in all major cities in Europe.

dedlaw Oct 30th, 2013 08:22 AM

alex_c could have simply said that robberies are reported everyday in all major cities (U.S. included). It's unfortunate this occurred to tecolote's son, but this says nothing about Lisbon as a particular city (we were just there and found it as safe as any other place with minor reasonable precautions taken).

thursdaysd Oct 30th, 2013 10:20 AM

I'm still waiting for the OP to come back with more information. But since this is her first post since 2010 I'm not holding my breath.

Robert2533 Oct 31st, 2013 11:46 AM

How early in the mooring? Before or after sunrise?

lowcountrycarol Nov 1st, 2013 10:23 AM

I just checked back on this post and find it so unusual that the poster has not returned and the actual post, being so short seems to be written in haste and possibly while still very upset from the incident. I still wonder what the purpose for this short post with no actual helpful information for travelers was.

As already remarked, in all cities of the world one can be mugged. I hope travelers do not think Lisbon is a very dangerous city.

Christina Nov 1st, 2013 11:01 AM

Perhaps the OP was just upset and had to mention it somewhere, and a travel site seems a logical place given it was during a trip, I guess. It does give a location, but more details would help others to avoid the circumstances perhaps. But sometimes there is nothing you can do, but generally such events are not totally random in location. I don't think being "mugged" by five people is that common anywhere, at least no where I've been or lived.