Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lisbon or Barcelona for Third City - Please Help Me Decide (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lisbon-or-barcelona-for-third-city-please-help-me-decide-213827/)

Vita Jan 27th, 2003 06:48 PM

Lisbon or Barcelona for Third City - Please Help Me Decide

I'm planning a 2-week trip to Spain at the end of May. I know I want to go to Madrid and Seville, and I was thinking of either Lisbon or Barcelona as a third city. I tend to like mostly urban vacations, with possibly some day trips to get out into the country. I enjoy interesting architecture (no particular period) and about 1-2 hours/day of museums and galleries. I also like a good walking city. Not particularly into bars or clubs. I'm in my late twenties and will be travelling alone. I will be using public transportation to get around.<BR><BR>I'm somewhat sensitive to cold weather, but according to weather.com, historical data seem to be comparable.<BR><BR>Any words of wisdom?

bobthenavigator Jan 27th, 2003 06:55 PM

In your 20s--you will like Barcelona !

realtor Jan 27th, 2003 07:23 PM

Barcelona has all you are looking for and more!

HuisClos Jan 27th, 2003 07:31 PM

I agree with the others, especially going solo. Although the architecture in Lisbon is fascinating and unique, you haven't seen unique and interesting until you've experience Gaudi architecture! Barcelona is a wonderful walking town, and the Picasso art museum is small so you can spend a few hours without getting that worn out feeling.

Dilermando Jan 29th, 2003 08:26 AM

My experience ranks those cities as follows, by decreasing order of interest: Barcelona - Lisbon - Sevilla - Madrid. With a very wide gap separating apart Barcelona/Lisbon from the others. I think of Madrid as an unattractive city with some great museums, unbearably hot in summer. I would say Lisbon is kind of a miniature Barcelona, their landscapes are rather similar, but anyway they are not the same. Barcelona and Libon offer touristic passes, allowing you unlimited urban transportation + special touristic transportation &amp; promenades + low-cost entrance fee (or free entrance) into museums etc. Both are very good walking cities. I would advantageously trade Sevilla for Granada, a wonderful heritage of the glorious days of the muslim empire in Spain. After visiting Barcelona, you will have already seen almost the same type of attractions Sevilla has to offer.<BR>

antonioramos Feb 27th, 2003 04:07 AM

both cities are great cities, and both are very good for the nightlife<BR>anyway if you need help<BR><BR>www.hotelsportugal.com<BR>for cars please check:<BR>www.portugal-spain.com<BR>www.drive-portugal.com<BR>www.travelers-portugal.com

Grandma Feb 27th, 2003 03:11 PM

I'm 60ish but agree with those aabove. I'd nix Madrid (unless you're really into museums) and hit Barcelona and Lisbon with side trips to Granada (I think it's wonders appeal to any age). Maybe Salamanca... it's a university town.