Family Vacation to Italy

Search

Family Vacation to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Vacation to Italy

Looking for suggestions for pre-teen friendly archeology sites and other family friendly sites around Rome?
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:26 AM

This is not a trip report.

What is "pre-teen friendly" when it comes to archeology sites and "family friendly" otherwise? Do you think people will suggest strip clubs?
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM

You have tagged your post as a trip report (a report you file after the trip), not a request for assistance before a trip. See if you can get the moderators to remove the trip report tag. You are likely to get better responses. And it would be helpful if you told us when you are going and for how long.

Rome is absolutely full of archeological sites. A good guidebook would be the best place to start. One interesting place to visit from Rome is Ostia Antica. There are so many others.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:37 AM

I don't get the friendly stuff either. Perhaps you don't understand what an archeological site is. They are not theme parks.

The closest is Ostia Antica, just a short train ride from Rome. This is the one I would suggest as the other sites are quite far for a day trip. Any archeological site would be fine to explore for anyone who is not mobility challenged.

I've asked the editors to remove the trip report tag as this is not a trip report because you haven't take the trip yet.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:39 AM

I just realized that Ostia Antica is not the closest as you have the forum which is in Rome. I was thinking of sites outside the city. You could also visit the Colosseum or one of the churches that were built on pagan temples.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM

As a side note, this appears to be the first post from EPE3 so don't jump down his/her throat about protocol please. I take pre-teen to be 10-12 year olds. Family Friendly could mean about anything but knowing that we took our two boys when they were that age to Europe several times, I can tell you that a great guide makes all the difference. Anyone who can engage the group and also make the site come alive with little side stories, etc will make it family friendly. You have the forum, colosseum, cat plaza(?), a long day trip to Pompei, catacombs, for starters. Take them to the Mouth of Truth...a bit hokey but kids get a kick out of it. Our boys really liked St Peters...again, the guide was excellent.
You will get more responses and more positive ones I hope if you do remove the 'trip report' tag and get a bit more specific about the time of year you'll be there, length of trip and ages. Also, you could have them watch Ben Hur or Gladiator if appropriate for some background. Me....I just watch Roman Holiday a week before!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM

In Rome you have the Colosseum (have the kids watch a gladiator movie), the Forum - which is huge and incredible, the Pantheon and a number of other sights - including the lower levels of San Clemente (the lowest level was a temple to Mithras, god of the roman soldiers. For this to be interesting they should know a little about ancient Rome before they go.

If by family friendly you mean theme parks - haven't a clue.