Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lisbon: My English students are so excited!

Mar 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

On Friday morning, we (16 Swiss plus one Brit and one American) will be leaving for Lisbon.

Frau Klein will give us a tour in German of Lisbon in the afternoon. After trying port wine and/or cherry schnapps, we'll be eating at Cervejaria Trindade (reserved).

On Saturday, we'll explore Belem and enjoy a ride on Tram 28. In the evening, we'll meet the LDC and friends. We are all looking forward to this tremendously.

Sunday's reserved for Sintra and our evening will be spent at Caldo Verde.

On Monday, we'll go to Cascais to breathe in the sea air and enjoy the blue skies and waves. Maybe we can even go on a bike ride.

Then it's back to Switzerland.

I'll write up a trip report when we come back.
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM
ira

Dear Herr/Frau Schuler,

>Lisbon: My English students are so excited!<

They speak Portugese in Lisbon.

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

Bom Dia! This is our nineth field trip. We ran out of English-speaking destinations and have now decided to explore southern Europe. Since none of us speak Portugese, we'll need our English to get by.

Excellent practice for my students.
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Normally I'd hate fish, but when in Lisbon: Try the fish!
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Schuler, whom do you teach? It's great that you can take field trips to other countries.

I've always wanted to ask you about a yodeling Mass. You mentioned it in a post a year or so ago, and I'd love to attend one when I'm in Switzerland. In fact, I'd even make a special trip to die Schweiz the next time I'm in Germany (which I visit fairly often.)

About 20 years ago I took my mother to Montana to attend a reunion of the country high school she had attended in the twenties in a little place called Frenchtown outside Missoula. (Many French Canadians had settled there around the turn of the century.)

The Mass had a country-western choir. It was fabulous! They sang "The Magnificat" ("My soul doth magnify the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my savior..." It was really a marvelous experience--so different. Gave me goose bumps.

Mar 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Try to take in the National Coach Museum in Belem. Absolutely outstanding! An incredible collection of horse drawn carriages dating from the 13th Century belonging to Kings, Queens and the like....It was divine..
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM

schuler
All of us left behind envy you especially the LDC.
What more could one ask? Good food, good friends and a wonderful setting.
Sher
Mar 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Obrigada! Thanks for all your comments!

Logos: I'll try the fish. Great for lent.

Peg: Jodel masses aren't usually published in the internet. They can be found in the local paper or in the church newspaper. If you let me know when you're in Switzerland, I'll see what's going on. They are wonderful to see and hear and send chills down the spine.

Hi Kate: Hopefull we'll have time! Thanks for the tip.

Sher: You're a Lisbon expert, aren't you? We'll be thinking of you on Saturday night.
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Dear Schuler
I suggest you to try the cherry schnapps on Friday since the port wine is included in our plans for Saturday ;-)
The Portuguese side of the LDC is very excited too. We will have Portuguese, Brit, American, Swiss and Croatian nationalities around the table. The most international LDC ever. I antecipate a lot of fun. See you in Carnide's Largo do Coreto.
Ira, when people is in the mood to communicate they will find a way, at least after good food and some glasses of Portuguese reds
Mar 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM

schuler. I am by no means an expert. But I am almost as excited for you as you are!
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Some hints about Caldo Verde:
Caldo verde is the name of a soup, and in Caldo Verde, caldo verde soup is mandatory. After the soup, my favourite is "febras de porco grelhadas", it means small pork thin steaks grilled with some french fries, may be rice and salad.
I usualy have sangria, but alternatives are bear (lagger style) or wine. Check the prices before ordering wine.
After the main dish you may ask a chouriço assado (slightly spicing red sausage) or morcela (a kind of black pudding). It is served sliced and should be eaten with bread.
For dessert, Caldo Verde has good offers. My favourites are Serradura (sawdust), baba de camelo (camel spit) and arroz doce (sweet rice pudding). If you want to order several desserts and wish to share, make sure to the waiter, that you want extra dishes and spoons.
If 2 or more persons want to share a meal of fish and a meal of meat, that's perfectly acceptable to do that, but is should be made clear to the staff that you want the fish first, and then the meat afterwards. In between the dishes and the silverware must be replaced.
A final note: during a fado performance, everybody should remain silent.
This menu should be around 20 to 25 euros, which I think is reasonable, because it includes the live entertainment.
Have fun. See you next Saturday.