Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lisbon, Mallorca and Marbella advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lisbon-mallorca-and-marbella-advice-needed-322482/)

CassieWithBag Mar 13th, 2008 09:19 AM

Lisbon, Mallorca and Marbella advice needed

Hi Fellow Fodorites,

I am once again turning to you for great travel insights...

A group of us (women in 20s-30s) are planning a 2-week tour in Spain and Portugal. We'd like to visit Lisbon and some coastal areas, so...

Lisbon: What is the best area to stay in... we want a hotel on the beach and also want to be close to the town/city center... shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, and the historical sites... what would be best to get all that?

Marbella: What is the crowd like? Is it a fun place for singles in their 20s and 30s? I've heard Nikki Beach is the best location... is that true? Again, we want beachfront if possible.

Mallorca: Same questions as above

How many days would be good in each location?

Any other travel suggestions (places to stay, visit,...) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Cassie

lobo_mau Mar 13th, 2008 09:32 AM

Nikki, I believe there is a question for you.

Cowboy1968 Mar 13th, 2008 09:43 AM

Marbella: Only little experience, though I found the crowds to be a bit older than 20-30.

Mallorca: Rather go to Ibiza if you are looking for "in" crowds and serious party people.

by the way.. when will you be traveling?

markrosy Mar 13th, 2008 10:43 AM

If you are married to a football player, spend £2000 on handbags and wear gold sandals - head for Marbella - generally regarded as the tacky riche centre of Europe. The culture usually revolves round measuring the depth of ones wallet and comparing the Italian towns in which your supercar was built. Put simply Marbella is not a Fodors destination.

Mallorca is very varied and ranges from the super tacky to the super style crowd - you can get anything on Mallorca from fish and chips with beer to classical concerts by world recognised composers. Palma has a great nightlife year-round and is close to some very exclusive resorts - The north of the island is very much more geared towards families. The European "A" list have estates in the west of the island and life is accordingly more sedate.

If you really want to see the best high end club scene (like Long Island in summer) - head for Ibiza. The clubs open 22 hours a day and the music scene used to dictate the European music scene - it has settled down now a little but it is still The place to head for 20 somethings in summer (oh I wish I was there age wise).

kenderina Mar 13th, 2008 11:11 AM

Nikki Beach ? Are you sure that is in Marbella ? I've never heard of such a thing...and I'm Spaniard.
Marbella...mixed crowd in summer, older (english) crowd in winter.
Mallorca ..also mixed crowd but it caters more for families and as markrosy said..for VIPS :)
I agree with his/her counseling...Ibiza is the place you are looking for.
I would stay a week in Lisbon and surroundings (lisbon is not by the beach) and then another week in Ibiza. Your don't say from where you are travelling to...buy maybe it would be convenient to spend about four days in Ibiza and two or three in Barcelona and fly out from there.

Lawchick Mar 13th, 2008 11:15 AM

Unfortunately Nikki Beach has landed in Spain - it's behind the Don Carlos. My friend has an apartment there. She's none too happy about the bling.

kenderina Mar 13th, 2008 11:19 AM

Then I have to ask...what is Nikki Beach ? I thought it was an actual beach name :)

Lawchick Mar 13th, 2008 11:24 AM

It's a kind of beach club chain - with restaurant/bar/fancy beach chairs/clubbing/air kissing/permatan/yadayada/bling bling.

At least it keeps all the types that frequent such places together. It might clear out some of the bars in Puerto Banus!

kenderina Mar 13th, 2008 11:28 AM

I'm not sure it is a bad thing for Puerto Banus bars :)
Definitely...I don't like Marbella.