Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yikes! Last minute trip and 1st time to Ireland!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just found out we have an opportunity to go to Galway for a meeting and figured we would take this opportunity to see a bit of the Emerald Isle though we will have very limited time. I have not had sufficient time to gather information and read lots and lots of trip reports as I usually do before all of my international trips so please bear with me. Here is what I have come up with, please let me know driving time between these places, is this doable, if things need to be cut out, please let me know which ones. I am open to suggestions.

Also need info on other matters as well. Will my Iphone 5S work there? I will get an international plan but will the Google maps work? I got Michelin map for Ireland but not as detailed as I think I will need. Is there one you can recommend that I pickup at the SNN airport there? I know the temps are in the 50-60's in mid May but more concerned about the rain. Is it non-stop or does it stop and start again like some of the tropical places? Is it pouring rain or a just a constant drizzle? Trying to figure out what clothing to take and if I need to waterproof my shoes and clothing? I am finding that most places will only take cash, is this case for the pubs and touristy places as well? Should I take most of my cash from here in the US or are there ATM's around in these smaller towns? Please feel free to tell me about any tips or suggestions to make this a better trip! Thank you!!!

Mon-Depart US
Tues- arrive SNN rent car drive to Bunratty Castle
Spend night in Kilkenny at NewPark Hotel

Wed-Kilkenny Castle,St. Canice’s Cathedral and Round tower
Drive to Cashel and have lunch there
Rock of Cashel and Hore Abby?
Drive to Cahir
Cahir castle take guided tour, Swiss Cottage. Mitchelstown Cave if time permits
Drive to Killarney and spend night in Killarney-Killaran House Park Road

Thurs- Killarney national park- see Gap of Dunloe and Old Weir bridge. Ladies View, Ross Castle and Rossbeigh beach. Is best way to see everything via car?
-Drive Beara Peninsula-is this day doable?
Spend night in Dingle-? or do 2 nights in Killarney?

Fri- Dingle Peninsula-Dingle you can drive there to the town, do the Slea Head loop, Connor Pass. Dunbeg Fort.
Drive through the Burren to Doolin, Cliffs of Moher & O'Brien's tower. Maybe do the cruise in evening instead?
-Spend night in Doolin at Kate’s Place
Sat- Lisdoonvanra, , Dunguaire Castle, Ailwee Cave, Burren Perfumery, Poulnabrone Dolmen
See Ballyvaughan on way Drive back to SNN to drop off car around 1-2pm...How to best spend time on Sat? Open to suggestions as to what to cut out.
Sun-Galway-what can I do while hubby is in meetings all day?
Mon-meeting will conclude at 2pm-what to see and do?
Tue-have early departure to SNN flight back to US

Sienna
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 01:30 AM

Shannon to Kilkenny off a redeye is a non starter.
Weds, is possible but why did you go east to come back west
Thurs, no way will all that fit
Fri round Dingle to Clare possible but stay somewhere other than Doolin! maybe Ennis, Lahinch, Ennistymon?
Sat possible lots of options http://goo.gl/maps/xMOHV
Sun, Galway maybe a trip down the N59 http://goo.gl/Ek8bpw if you have a car or a Connemara Tour with Kylemore?
Monday, shopping? end the night in Shannon (oakwood arms?)
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 01:47 AM

Sorry got tangled in the trip and forgot the question.
If your iphone is unlocked get an Irish sim (Tesco) otherwise keep your phone in flight mode to keep roaming charges down. The Michelin 702 is a big paper map and about as detailed as you can get to pin on a wall.. try getting a Collins/AA or if you plan on getting lost OSi map from Londis or the other store in SNN. There are Two ATM's in the hall at the airport.. the one straight facing you as you come out will have a queue and might only have €50's left in there, turn right past the shops/Toilets into Departure desk area and there is an ATM by the Money Exchange place (avoid!!) which gets less traffic. ATM's are the best way of getting cash, Your Bank sets the charges so check and also let them know you will be using your card in Ireland. No ATM in Doolin only 200 B&B's, 2 tourist shops and 3 bars.

Ask me the day before about the weather, at the moment its not too bad a bit soft today but sun tan weather yesterday and the day before (apart from the sudden Hail storm). I don't posses waterproofs for everyday use but then I live here? I have a Rain coat I wear once or twice in winter, Hiking boots because I live in Rural farm/forestry and walk off road. off out now but any questions will be answered later
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 02:03 AM

I wouldn't begin to advise you on drive times as I have always been a passenger there, but I did spend several summers in Ireland as a girl and have been back several times as an adult. My only advice would be not to schedule so many things to *see* there that you don't have time to *feel* the place. Have a Sunday roast dinner at any nice hotel in town (I love the Leenane Hotel in Connemara.. and area that cannot be missed!), Craic at some fun pubs, lovely fresh seafood at any number of places in the Galway area: they have the best smoked salmon in the world, imho. If you or your husband are golfers, I know there's a great course in Lahinch but you need to get tee times reserved well in advance. As for the weather, I'm an American but I live in England now, and they get much the same weather here in Kent. They call it "sunshine and showers" when they predict it daily during the morning news, always trying to keep a straight face while doing so. This means it'll be sunny one minute, then clouds roll in and the heavens will open up, and a few minutes later... gloriously sunny again. You can actually see the rain coming toward you as you watch the land darken miles off under the clouds. From my experience, they have fewer all-gray, drizzly days (like the ones I enjoyed when living in Seattle). When they do get them, they might say it's a "grand, soft day". You will need a good umbrella for the "soft days". LOL Have a wonderful trip and raise a glass for me. Sláinte!
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tony. We are going East because we wanted to see castles and that's really the only day to get there unfortunately. How are the roads/conditions going from Shannon to Kilkenny? Is it mostly highway? Also do you recommend getting the extra collision damage insurance? No Atm in Doolin, but what about the other areas? Do the pubs take credit cards? I love the map that you did! Can you do one for my whole trip??!! That would be awesome!

For Thursday, I figured it would not be possible to do all...which would be best suited to do, the National Park or the Beara? We will not have a car once we get to Galway, are there tour operators you can recommend we use to see the Connemara area?

thank you!
Sienna
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 10:24 AM

There are castles without going over to Kilkenny.

Tuesday --- Consider Adare, King Johns Castle, http://www.shannonheritage.com/KingJohnsCastle/ or Adare Castle (do not confuse with the Manor) http://www.adareheritagecentre.ie/de...tle_tours.html

Or Adare then the night in Listowel? http://www.heritagetowns.com/listowellarge2.shtml.

Wednesday & Tursday --- From your 1st night tour round the Dingle peninsula on the way to Killarney or Kenmare.. Dunbeg Fort has part fallen into the sea and closed due to the extreme storms we had January. consider http://www.bonaneheritagepark.com/ and http://www.stonepages.com/ireland/staigue.html and other points from your list. Beara is my favourite of the south west trio.

Friday --- back over the Shannon either back through the Tunnel or take the ferry and see some of South West Clare, maybe Loop Head before heading for Lahinch/Ennistimon?

Saturday --- Continue North aiming for Kinvara which is a good Option for your night before Galway and Dunguaire Castle the Merriman is a good small Hotel right in town.

Sunday/Monday as above?

If I get time I might get to plot that route in the next couple of days.
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:38 AM

Start of a quick map http://goo.gl/maps/uu6eR