Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lisboa, secure area to stay for woman travelling alone (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lisboa-secure-area-to-stay-for-woman-travelling-alone-146550/)

Candice Jul 18th, 2001 04:06 AM

Lisboa, secure area to stay for woman travelling alone

Please, could you advice me where is the best location, what means security and facilities for a woman traveling alone to Portugal. I will stay only 2 days, because of an airplane conexion and as I am 22 and I am going by myself, I would like a secure place, because I am a little afraid of choosing a bad neighboarded hotel.. <BR>I thank you for your response in advance.. <BR>ps: if you know also the great places to visit there, I would appreciate to know them. <BR>Thank you <BR>Candice

andi Jul 18th, 2001 05:04 AM

I too had to stay one night in Lisbon when making a connection to Africa. I stayed at a beautiful, elegant hotel called the Hotel Lisboa Plaza in a very upscale neighborhood and felt totally safe. I had a suite for $95 a night (this was just this past November) and it included breakfast. If that is a bit pricey, I don't know Lisbon well enough to recommend other areas.

Gloria Jul 18th, 2001 07:43 AM

Hi, Candace <BR>The Lisboa Plaza is a good choice. The location is good and the streets appeared to be very safe. I would not be concerned about Lisbon. I was alone different times and felt very comfortable. The people were very kind and gracious. I would avoid the metro and use the wonderful cable cars that will take you to all the sights. You can hop on and off and find your destinations easily. You will love Portugal, I am sure. <BR>There should be a shuttle from the airport to your hotel. Ask the Plaza if they have one. Unfortunately, you will hear of ripoffs by taxi drivers. Only take one from the stand and ask how much the fare will be before you get in. It should be around $15 USD from the airport to the hotel if you choose this option. <BR>I have some pictures of our trip to Portugal that you may enjoy. <BR>Have a wonderful trip, Candace. You will do well, I am sure. <BR> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12472324&f=0 <BR> <BR>Gloria

sharon Jul 18th, 2001 07:15 PM

Hi - I stayed in the Hotel Avendia Palce, right downtown, great location about $100 US. The Lisboa Plaza is also a good recommendation...Cab fare should be less than $10US based on what we paid in May. I felt very safe in Lisbon.

Oaktown Traveler Jul 18th, 2001 10:26 PM

Hey...we stayed at The Hotel Avendia Palace also! <BR> <BR>It is a very good place to stay. <BR> <BR>Have a GREAT time! <BR> <BR>Oaktown Traveler

p Jul 19th, 2001 01:07 AM

lisbon is as safe as paris, or london. <BR>there are same areas, that obviously you should avoid such as Intendente ( donīt go there alone, even thow itīs safe, itīs more or less like "red light" areas ). <BR>subway is very safe, as well as trains ( for example you can go to sintra ). <BR>all "touristic" areas have police ( that speak english, and french ) <BR>Belem area itīs also ok. <BR>You can also go to Expo'98 area ( use the subway ) and visit the aquarium, or go to the top of tower Vasco da Gama ( great views ), itīs also a part of lisbon excellent for bicycle rides, with good restaurants. <BR>Nightlife: trendi people go to docas ( below bridge over tagus ), alternative life stiles, and fado go to bairro alto, but here ( bairro alto ) some parts arenīt so safe ( avoid quiet streets )

Linda Jul 24th, 2001 07:13 AM

Two other hotels to try in Lisbon are the Tivoli and Tivoli Jardim. It is on the Avenida Liberdade, a very central location. Also on the Avenida Liberdade is the Sofitel which I think might be a little cheaper than the Tivoli. The Tivoli has a pool and tennis courts if you're interested. You can book a day tour to Sintra, Queluz and one other city. Well worth the money.