Search

Lire to euros

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:01 PM
MJ

Lire to euros

Off to Italy. What's the most convenient place to exchange all those lire we still have from past trips?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Rex

You'll have to go to a location of the National Bank of Italy (I'm sure that it has an Italian name - - just don't know it accurately off the top of my head).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Matt

When I was in Italy this past June, I seem to recall that there was "The Last Day" on which you could exchange lire for euros. All lire had to have been converted into euros on or before that date. So I think that those lire you have now are museum pieces or toilet paper.<BR><BR>How much lire do you still have?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Ruth

No, MJ isn't too late. There were cutoff dates for exchanging euros at local banks, but as Rex said, the eurozone national central banks have to exchange notes for at least 10 years more.<BR><BR>see http://www.ecb.int/change/bn01.htm for the dates for each eurozone country.<BR><BR>But I don't know how easy it is to find branches of the National Bank in Italy.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Ruth

Actually it looks very easy - the same website gives a link to a page of addresses of the Banca d'Italia (which is the national bank) - there are many.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
up

up<BR>