LIPARI: half pension at the Carasco??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,<BR><BR>Just checking if it's worth paying the small supplement (EUR 10 per person) for half pension at the Carasco, or if we're better off eating in town.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Andre
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:27 AM

When we went to Lipari last summer the last week of July, we werent' given a choice. The Carasco required half pension which I didn't want, but I thought it was more money that that -- plus I was a bit worried about the distance and the out of town location. But one of the best things about Lipari was wandering the streets at night and having dinner. Unless you're only in Lipari for one night, I'd opt for being on my own to experiement. One of my favorite restaurants was the delightful small Le Pirate right on the water at the Carasco end of the village.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Hi Andre - we stayed at Carasco for 5 nights last September, didn't take the half pension, and regretted it. <BR><BR>On holiday we usually eat our largest meal as a late lunch. For some reason in Sicily we found ourselves eating a large lunch AND dinner - likely due to the huge amounts of walking/hiking we did, plus the lighter meals (fish, etc). We found the restaurants in Lipari quite expensive...they were good, but not a strong feeling of value. <BR><BR>We had eaten at Carasco the first night (arrived very late) and it was very nice - a large selection of choices per course - and so we found ourselves regretting that we hadn't taken the half board (for the price).<BR><BR>To Patrick's point about wandering the streets of Lipari at night - definitely! But it's easy to walk to Lipari from Carasco (actually it was really fun), so I wouldn't worry that eating at Carasco will diminish your Lipari experience.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Elizabeth,<BR><BR>Exactly the info I needed! I'm so looking forward to checking out the restaurants in your file (and adding some new ones to it;-))<BR><BR>Patrick, there's only a difference in price between HP and B&amp;B in the shoulder season (till June 30), which explains why you weren't given that option. Besides, It's more of a partial reduction for B&amp;B than a supplement for HP - obviously, the meal costs them more than EUR 10 to prepare - I hope!<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Andre<BR><BR>
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Actually I doubt that the meal does cost them more than that to prepare -- but don't take that as a sign that it might not be good. I just never like eating two nights in a row anywhere no matter how good -- I love the variety.<BR><BR>And unlike Elizabeth I did find excellent food that was reasonable in Lipari -- but you must get away from the area near the port. Some of the restaurants off the main street of the other part of the town and located in the small alleyways and spilling into the streets were great and Cheap! Le Pirate and the famous Filippi were the only &quot;expensive&quot; restaurants we ate at.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:41 AM
GAC

I spent six nights at the Carasco in &quot;mezza pensione&quot;. The additional cost for dinner was 10 Euros, which I found more than reasonable for the quantity and quality of food available. Plus, the view of the Castello area and the sea coast from the restaurant of the Carasco is the very best on the Island. Really. The glorious view at sunset itself pays for the cost of the meal. The complimentary hotel shuttle to Marina Corta stops at 8 p.m., so you either have to take a taxi or walk into town (10 minutes on foot by the most direct path across the narrow Porto delle Genti beach).
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Don't stay at the Hotel Carasco. We had very bad service and very nasty mangager. The half board is not worth it. Eat at Al Pirate. We were not the only ones who experienced this bad service. We took a boat excursion and everyone on the trip complained also.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:08 AM

An excellent restaurant on Lipari is da Filippino which is near the harbor.