Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Link to story regarding luggage weight-limits, and American Airlines...

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:15 AM
bonniebroad

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation? This is interesting:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/cindy.htm

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The article was not correct in all of its facts. You are allowed two checked bags and one carry on. Not two carry on and one checked. All he needed to do was to move 5kgs to a second bag and the then check it. Following are the new rules and why: Effective June 1, 2004, the maximum weight for each bag checked to/through/from any destination in Europe or Asia will be 70lbs/32kgs. American will no longer accept overweight baggage (70-100 lbs.) in these international markets. This policy is in conjunction with the British Airport Authority mandate prohibiting checked baggage into the United Kingdom that weighs over 70lbs/32kgs.

This policy will be effective for any passenger who commences travel on or after June 1, 2004, and only applies to passengers traveling on American to/through/from any destination in Europe or Asia. If you have baggage weighing over this new limit, please repack or redistribute the weight into other baggage.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I had a problem once flying in the U.S. where the weight limit is now 50 pounds. Had to transfer some of the kitchen sink to another suitcase.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Recently we were surprised when checking in with American at Las Vegas to fly home to Florida that we were "overweight" with the one rolling duffle the two of us were sharing. They let us go since it was "only slightly overweight" and it was the only bag the two of us were checking (we also had only one carry on between the two of us). What was really surprising was that it was the same bag and luggage we had been checking on two other segments of this trip, and if anything, I suspect it was lighter than on the other flights.
Note, this was a domestic flight, not international.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Plenty of publicity was given to this safety change and the reasons for it. Any airline exempting any passenger (even a CEO from the upper west side, etc.) could very easily have union problems.

From a February 22 conference at Heathrow:

"London Heathrow Airport has attempted to reduce the musculo-skeletal injuries being suffered by baggage handling and airport staff by introducing a 32kg checked baggage weight limit from 1 June 2004. The presentation will share the background into the airport community decision to introduce the limit and the practical steps taken to ensure the well thought out and successful implementation of the weight limit with a minimum of disruption and inconvenience to the passengers."
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I can't imagine carrying 70 lbs of stuff for a trip to Europe; maybe if I was moving there for a year! This new rule won't be a problem for me at all.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:04 PM

I agree with bettyk - who would want to lug 70 lbs. all over Europe? For 10 years I have taken only one bag to Europe. Never have had a lost luggage problem.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Oh, my, g-d!!

Replay (almost) of my pocketbook/carryon incident on return portion of recent Italy trip. My situation involves TSA Agent and I thought I might get arrested.

Details will be at end of my trip report.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I love the postings from the people that brag about "traveling light" to Europe. I have seen these people and it ain't pretty! They only pack the "old" stuff and jeans.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Bob--do you have x-ray vision to know that these people pack old stuff?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Michael, I think Bob is suggesting that he has seen these people's wardrobes -- what they wear -- and so he does know what they must have packed.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Bob1 should work for the TSA since he can "see" into so many peoples luggage and tell you exactly what they are carrying. What an amazing gift.

He also sounds like a frustrated clothes-horse who is angry others won't play dress up with him.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Bob1

If you want to lug your entire wardrobe all over Europe be my guest. You're the guy I see standing there at the carousel waiting for your 6 suitcases as I'm on way out of the airport.

hansikday is right. You should go to work for TSA with your amazing ability to see what are in suitcases.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM

bettyk and rj007, you're assuming that all these travelers are tourists going to Europe on vacation. If I were going to Europe for a week or two, then I could get by with a small bag too...BUT don't forget that a lot of these passengers (flying to the UK in particular) are Europeans coming home laden with loot they've picked up at bargain prices in the U.S.!! I was down in Florida earlier this month and the outlet malls around Orlando were packed with Brits on huge shopping sprees. Listening to them chatter at the food court, it would not be hard to imagine how they could easily exceed their weight limit with all the stuff they'd bought (in addition to what they brought with them from home).
I have been spending the last month in the U.S. I've been going back and forth between two climates, which means two wardrobes, between leisure and business, plus all the paperwork (that alone weighs in several pounds) I need to get my UK residency visa processed. In addition, I've done some shopping myself, including buying some books (like John Stewart's America). My bags won't reach the 70 lb mark, but it does add up.
People's travel needs differ, as do their luggage requirements.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM

BTilke, point taken.

Bob1, I spent 2 weeks in the UK in May with my 22" rollaround that weighed in at 30 lbs. or so. Never once did I wear "old" stuff or jeans. I packed clothes that could be laundered easily and were right for the season.

Some of us travel light because we aren't physically able to haul around 70 lbs of stuff. Whatever the reason, traveling light doesn't mean old stuff and jeans!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:50 PM

BTilke, bettyk beat me to the punch. You're absolutely right. I was referring to people going to Europe on vacation. If I was a Brit, I would be doing the same thing. Take advantage while the rate is in your favor. That is one of many reasons why I will be going to New Zealand. It will seem like everything is on sale!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I am facing an overweight baggage situation at this very moment. I am taking my mother with us to Paris in a few weeks, and she is a packer and a half. She lugs a 70 lb suitcase when she comes for the weekend, and she only lives an hour and a half away! I know we are going to have many fights about this before our departure, and I figure we will not even be speaking to each other by the time we board the plane!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Crepes, if you are only going to Paris, I wouldn't worry too much as long as her suitcase is not over the 70 lb limit. It's not as bad if you aren't getting on and off trains, or lugging it up stairs in small hotels. Not much chance that you will convert your Mother at this late date!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Why would you fight with someone because they want to take a 70 pound bag?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Because the rest of us don't check luggage, and she is not able to lug a 70lb suitcase around. And even though I am 44, since she is my mother, like most parents and children, we still fight. You mean, you don't fight with your mother?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information