Lingerie in paris

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:41 AM
xxx

Lingerie in paris

hi
does anybody good lingerie stores in paris.
thanx

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Ursula

One place: Le Bon Marché, Sèvres-Babylone, 6th, 1st floor!
My favourite.
Terrific beach wear too.
Sofas and magazines for the people waiting while you are trying things on!

Old May 11th, 2001, 05:00 AM
anotherxxx

I would love to shop for lingerie when in Paris this July. However, I'm an (American) size 16 - I'm wondering if Le Bon Marche or other stores carry larger sizes?

Any advice on where to find good information on size conversions for clothes and shoes? I found an OK source in a travel guide book.

Thanks for the advice.

Old May 11th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Ursula

Another: I am sure you will find your size in the department stores. The right bank department stores have good lingerie departments too, but I definitely think the atmosphere at LBM (very cozy with thick carpets and large changing rooms) is best.
Some flight schedules booklets (like the Swissair one) have size conversions for shoes and clothes), but apparently, you already have found one source and this should be ok.
You can also check in the US for European lingerie. Sizes are usually given on every items in the different sizes US and European.
But I guess you agree, lingerie as well as shoes MUST be tried on.

Have a nice stay.

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:13 AM
herself

anotherxxx.
Your question reminded me of my first trip to Paris 15 years ago. We were four women who had left our husbands home for this trip and wanted to bring back some sexy French undergarments. I was also a size 16 at the time. I asked the sales lady if they had anything in my size,she opened my coat, looked at me up and down and exclaimed "Oh non, madam" in a totaly disgusting voice. My size 8 friend was a size "large" in Paris. We still have a good laugh at this today. My friends have been wanting to take me to Poland or Russia for some full size underwear. Can't imagine it being sexy though.

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:25 AM
carol

The most famous lingerie boutique in Paris is Sabbia Rosa in St. Germain, but the above posters are right about the sizes. Anyone bigger than a US size 10 won't find much there.

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:38 AM
carol

The most famous lingerie boutique with the most beautiful merchandise in Paris is Sabbia Rosa in St. Germain, but the above posters are right about the sizes. Anyone bigger than a US size 10 won't find much there. Have fun!

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Ursula

Carol, I agree with you. Sabbia Rosa (Rue des Saint-Pères) IS terrific,
But not knowing the size of the person asking, I definitely preferred to give her a department store with big sizes as well.

PS: I love Victoria's Secret, but as far as I know, they do not (yet) have shops here in Europe. Does anybody know about this?

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Tracy

Hello all - I'm with you, Ursula! LBM is superb.

Princesse Tam-Tam and Darjeeling shops are also fantastic; unusual cotton prints, very comfy yet so sexy . . . LBM also stocks some of their current season stuff.

Enjoy!!!

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:03 AM
cass

in my humble opinion... anyone inquiring about lingerie options in paris probably isn't going to be terribly interested in victoria's secret - their merchandise is tacky and poorly made. i hope they aren't planning on expanding to europe - god help us if they do...

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Ursula

PS: Forgot to mention it, ladies:

LA PERLA lingerie! Italian, of course. But you can it anywhere in Europe (do not know about the States).

It's too beautiful to be hidden to most people though.

Have a look at it and skip dinner, if the budget is little tight..

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Ursula

Ladies, I forgot to mention:

LA PERLA lingerie! Italian, of course.

Too beautful to be hidden to most people though. It's to die for.

Skip dinner, if the budget is a little tight... or take hubby with you! ;-)

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Ursula

Sorry for posting twice. This site is making trouble again.

Cass: I am with you regarding quality of VC, but nevertheless it is interesting to go to shops in the States we don't have in Europe. I bought a bra I could open in front and I liked it. But of course, it's not La Perla.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Tracy

Whoa - lingerie wars!!!

The Victoria's Secret faux-British thing is hilarious, since for the UK market they restyle themselves as being Italian (you'll see the La Senza shops on high streets). Guess us Yanks see the Brits as being sexy (ha ha), while the Brits dream of Italians . . .

BTW there's some argument in Paris about all the explicit lingerie poster ads up all over town. T&A to the max in the case of huge Metro posters. You won't have any problem finding the luxe French brands!
Have fun!!

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:18 AM
anotherxxx

Hello herself,

What a great story. I as in Poland last summer to meet distant relatives. (They are all built like me - no surprise.) Shopping in Krakow was great, but definately didn't look for lingerie!

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Old May 12th, 2001, 01:42 PM
xxx

thanks a lot for all of you who responded.
great info. i have a few stores to visit when i go to paris, i hope i have time for all of them.
thankx again

Old May 12th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Christina

good luck. I am a size 10-12, not unusually big on top and I have trouble finding bras large enough in France. I don't go to expensive stores, though, so maybe they have more selection, I just browse through the sale stuff in the major dept stores or try to buy some cheap French flimsy underwear in Monoprix or wherever for fun, and I know the latter is geared to the younger set so maybe that's why it's so small. I rarely see band sizes over 36, although you can find C cups more than you used to. Frankly, I never saw anything there that was any better or unusual than what you can get in dept stores in US IMO, (and you can get La Perla in US where I live in expensive boutiques, as well as other European brands), but it's always fun to say you bought it in Paris. I seem to remember several lingerie shops on rue de Rennes on the end towards Montparnasse or on rue d'Alesia. The stuff is really expensive it seems to me in comparison to similar quality in US in those small stores. I also like Le Bon Marche in general, though, so even if you don't find lingerie you want, you should have a good shopping trip.

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Pat

I spent a lot of time at Bon Marche about three weeks ago. They have plus sizes...sort of. Most things were in the $200-$600. price range. You can find things, but you usually can't afford them.

One note. If you have an Amex card, they welcome desk will give you a cute keychain for free and an English map of the store.

Old May 13th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Claire

Hi! Thanks for the information. I am a college student who will be studying in Paris this summer, and I would like to do some lingerie and other shopping. Does anyone know of some less expensive but worthwhile places I could shop? I shouldn't run into size issues too much. Thanks again!

Old May 13th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Joanne

Stayed in a hotel on Rue de Rennes near Montparnasse on our recent trip and there was a lingerie shop next door. A thong displayed in the window gave new meaning to female anatomy! I'll stick with my high cut jockeys. To each her own!!