Reload this Page >

Linen in Italy in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Traveller

Going to Italy at the beginning of October. Will women still be wearing linen there? Would like to take some dark colored pieces (black and brown) but don't want to look too summer-like. <BR> <BR>Grazie

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Santa Chiara

Traveller, <BR>They will not be wearing linen in October. Everyone is very conscious about appropriate dress for the season. There is some magic witching hour that I have yet to figure out when panty hose are shed in late spring and put back on in early fall. <BR> <BR>Where are you going? The south will be warmer, obviously, than the north. <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 05:37 AM
lynn

Maybe it's the same as the old-fashioned rules in the States: between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it's officially summer-dress time. That means wearing white and linen. But don't get caught wearing either at any other time!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:44 AM
sally

This is a new millenium!! Linen is worn after Labor Day; many designers now make linen garments in fall colors. In 98, I took and wore a dark linen jumper all over Italy, even with a light blazer at night, and not one person called the fashion police on me!! Take what you like and are comfy in, even if that includes linen!!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:38 AM
elaine

Yes for dark-colored linens and cottons in early Oct. unless the weather turns very very cool. No for crispy pink running suits.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:36 AM
traveler

Oh darn, my crispy pink running suit is already packed <BR> <BR>Thanks for your replies. I knew you'd come through!