Lincoln, England B&B or hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for a place to stay within the town of Lincoln. I'll be without a car so I'd like to be close to the town center. Inexpensive to moderate prices are in my budget. Thanks! <BR><BR>P.S. Comments about the town itself are also welcome.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:11 AM
ron

I think you would want to be in the cathedral district rather than in the centre of Lincoln, so that you are near the cathedral, the castle, the museum, the windmills and the tourist office. Since it is a steep climb from the city centre, you would probably want to take a taxi from the train station – not expensive, should be less than &pound;3.<BR><BR>I stayed at OLD RECTORY GUEST HOUSE, 19 Newport, Lincoln, LN1 3DQ, Tel: 01522 514774. Fax: 01522 538893. No website or e-mail as far as I know. Very comfortable, friendly B&amp;B.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:37 AM

It's a pedantic point, but Lincoln is a city (has a charter and a cathedral). I simply don't want you to start on the wrong foot with the locals! It's a lovely place.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarifications and recommendation.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Lincoln is a nice place, I'm sure you'll like it. Impressive location, beautiful cathedral and not overly touristy.<BR><BR>You can find quite a few B&amp;B listings for Lincoln at &quot;www.smoothhound.co.uk&quot;. I stayed at Archer's Guest House, which was good value but a fair walk from the train station (uphill of course).<BR><BR>Brown's Pie Shop is an interesting place to eat. Just south of the Market Square, near where Michaelgate and Steep Hill intersect.<BR><BR>The cathedral and castle are obviously major attractions. One of the original copies of the Magna Carta is housed in the castle. The Bishop's Palace, just south of the cathedral, is also interesting.<BR><BR>I have a few photos of Lincoln at:<BR>&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/drsawyers/&quot;<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM

I enjoyed Lincoln very much . In addition to the other places already mentioned , I recommend the Wig and Mitre on Steep Hill, near the top. It's a pub/restaurant in a 14th century building. My sister and I had a wonderful lunch there after visiting the cathedral. <BR>PS. We walked up the hill from the train station. &lt;g&gt; ( But I confess, we were on a day trip so we didn't have to cart any luggage up the hill!!)
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:15 AM

drsawyers

the website you listed, I don't see any photos from Lincoln.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM
dln

alan64, take a look at this website: www.eurodata.com/articles/lincoln-england.htm It is an article about a ghost walk in Lincoln, followed by a listing of B&amp;Bs. We first saw Lincoln in the evening on the way to York, so we didn't stay there. However, it is a beautiful little place! The cathedral sits up on the hill and it is simply enchanting to view it at night with all the city lights twinkling. The next time we're there I'd like to go on the ghost tour in the above-mentioned article. As mentioned, Lincoln is not very touristy, which can be a blessed relief in a well-touristed country like England.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:04 AM

ga9497,

Unfortunately, I am only allowed a limited amount of storage space. I have taken several trips since the above posting from March and have replaced photos from previous trips with more recent ones.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

I've already returned, but enjoyed my few days in Lincoln. I stayed at the Carline [http://www.carlineguesthouse.co.uk/] and it was nice with friendly hosts. It was near the top of the town, a 10 minute walk to the castle &amp; cathedral. Ate at the Wig &amp; Mitre (not cheap, but very good and much nicer than typical pub grub) and Brown's Pie Shop (just next door, excellent traditional meat pies). Thanks again for people's input.