Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Limo Transfers from Fiumicino Rome Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/limo-transfers-from-fiumicino-rome-airport-573876/)

Flame123 Dec 1st, 2005 08:28 AM

Limo Transfers from Fiumicino Rome Airport

Hello all you helpful people,

I have contacted several limo services by e-mail requesting prices and information for going from the Rome airport to the train station. They have all been recommended on this board, and others. There is a huge difference in price, for instance, between Rome Shuttle Limousine which asks for 35 Euros and romeinlimo.com which asks for 60 Euros. Others have not gotten back to me yet but I wonder :

1) why is there SUCH a price difference? after all it is the same distance and they are both private drivers.

2) how to make a decision?

Thanks in advance

Eloise Dec 1st, 2005 09:37 AM

Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges? Maybe the cheaper price is per person and the higher price per trip.

Maybe you should also bear in mind the old axiom that if it sounds good to be true, there's probably a catch somewhere.

Finally, why not use one of the two services that have had only positive reviews here:

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

There have been bad reviews of a number of other services.

Flame123 Dec 1st, 2005 09:42 AM

Eloise,

I am sure that I am comparing apples with apples. They both charge per car, not per person and are both private services. I will check out the two that you mentioned, thank you very much, and would like to know which were given bad write-ups here, if you know, so I can avoid them. Thanks

Eloise Dec 1st, 2005 10:04 AM

I only remember the name of one of the badly reviewed ones, because it was so close to the name of one of the well reviewed ones:

www.limoservicesrome.com

(with an "s" after service; the well reviewed one has no "s").

eri Dec 1st, 2005 11:07 AM

I face the same dilema. Has anyone used Rome Shuttle Limousine? They charge only 35 Euros per car. This is their site:
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/FiumicinoE.htm

Flame123 Dec 1st, 2005 11:11 AM

Eri,

This is the exact service I was referring to when I wrote that they charge only 35 Euros as opposed to the other one charging 60 Euros. I hope someone will be able to enlighten us about them. In the meantime, I have also requested pricing and information from the sites suggested by Eloise.

eri Dec 1st, 2005 11:15 AM

Please put all the information you find in this thread. This will really be very helpful!
Thanks!!!

LBev769375 Dec 1st, 2005 11:38 AM

As you noted several posters have negative comments regarding WWW.limoservicesrome.com. We just returned from Rome and had attempted on to occassions to confirm pick-up services with the recommened one, www.limoservicerome.com. I faxed a copy of their application and did not recieve a confirmation reply. I contacted them by Email and they reported they had not received the faxed copy. I then emailed a copy of the completed application and was supported to hear from them within 72 hours. I did not receive a comfirmation reply, so two days before departure we arranged with the hotel to send a car.

Of course both showed up at the airport and unknowlingly we ended up using the one from www.limoservicerome.com and paying him the price we were to pay for the hotel obtained driver. The hotel was kind enough to take care of the situation without our having to pay both.

In my opinion there was too much confusion in establishing who I was communicating with as I was trying to confirm services with limoservicerome.com instead of limoservicesrome.com, and in not getting confirmation on two attempts.

The night before we left Rome, I arranged for the hotel to get a driver for 40E and of course limoservicerome.com showed up again at the same time, but this time we used the hotel driver.

I would recommend either taking a taxi for approx., 35E or paying no more than 40E for confirmable limo service or for a driver arranged through your hotel.

A taxi is Always there and all you have to do is "ask" the price to your hotel and they will give you a price close to what will end up on the meter.
If you don't like the price (near 35E), just go to the next one in line.

Leon

2Italy Dec 1st, 2005 12:01 PM

We've used RomeCabs several times and have found them both reliable and very courteious. THey charge about 42 Euros for up to 4 people from either airport. They have a Mercedes van, speak English, and do a very good job. They gave me their cell phone to call if there was any problem. There were no problems. www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/

Flame123 Dec 1st, 2005 10:40 PM

2Italy, Thanks for your feedback. I have written to them, and already received a very nice answer, quoting me a price of 45 Euros. I will wait for others to respond as well, but this seems a good possibility. Anyone else on this board use this company before?

eri Dec 1st, 2005 10:45 PM

I find it strange that no one has mentioned Rome Limousine service (35 Euro). They really seem to be the less expensive of all. Has no one used them?

mcnyc Dec 2nd, 2005 07:29 AM

I'm curious, do these prices include luggage?

I took a taxi from my hotel to FCO, and I was taken for quite a ride. I even told the driver he took me for a ride. 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage (all carry-on size), 55 Euros (not the 45 euros the concierge told me and then confirmed with the driver. I can understand Italian, I just can't speak it very well). I was staying near the Termini.

Since the driver already calculated his gi-normous tip in my fare, he got nothing more than his asking price, for which I'm still angry to this day since it was such a miserable vacation throughout. Plus, I hate getting ripped off. For those wondering, the Leonardo Express was not an option as I was traveling with elderly people. Plus, they wanted to take a taxi and majority ruled.

Since I obviously will NOT be using a taxi the next time I'm in Rome, I'm searching out any alternatives, and am watching this and other threads on this subject with much interest.

Thanks to all for this list of reputable transport companies.
www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it
www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/

Of course, more would be appreciated.
I'm obviously still bitter...

2Italy Dec 2nd, 2005 09:34 AM

Yes, ROmeCabs includes the luggage, and they load it and unload it for you.

JeanneB Dec 5th, 2005 04:16 PM

2:

Rome Cabs sounds like the way to go! Did you tip?

JeanneB Dec 5th, 2005 04:42 PM

2:

Does Rome Cabs meet you at baggage claim?

Dejais Dec 5th, 2005 05:44 PM

Let me just say from experience...DO NOT allow yourself to be approached by someone claiming to be a cab and quoting a price. Go directly to the taxi line and get a REAL cab. I knew better, but due to serious jet lag and a nagging husband, we went with one of these men and it was a disaster.

We knew our way into Rome and began to realize he was taking us the back way and very indirectly. Once we reached the outskirts of the city, he claimed his car died. I still don't think it did.

He made us pay him, he left us stranded in the middle of the street and said another cab was on the way. Then we had to pay the new guy. All in all, I think we wound up paying something like 100-120 Euros.

I know, I know...it was a scam. But after listening to a screaming baby (in first class, mind you) for eight and a half hours, getting no sleep, and laying over in Milan, we were annoyed and exhausted. With the time change, we had been up for something like 36 hours. So we are definitely to blame.

Just thought maybe our mishap would help someone else avoid it. (And yes, this is VERY embarrassing for a seasoned traveler to admit they were THAT stupid.)

JeanneB Dec 7th, 2005 06:02 AM

Topping for question to 2Italy about Rome Cabs.

Do they meet you at baggage claim or is there a pick up site? If you pay the "up to 4 passengers" rate, are you reserving the entire vehicle or will they add another couple to the trip (we are two)?

2Italy Dec 7th, 2005 07:16 PM

Stephano will give you his cell phone number if needed and you can ask for ID. We did tip, not because we thought it was expected, but because we were SOOO pleased with the service provided. Even going to the airport on our way home, he still was pointing out sites of interest along the way. Seldom am I as pleased with any service as much as I was with Rome Cabs.

2Italy Dec 7th, 2005 07:20 PM

Yes, he will meet you at the arrivals area, just outside of customs. On one trip there were just 2, nothing shared. ANother trip there were 3, again, nothing shared. On our final trip to the airport there were 4 of us travelling together, again nothing shared. I have never seen him "split" a ride although I guess it's not impossible. Ask him in an email.

amine Dec 15th, 2005 02:50 AM

We choose to used www.romeinlimo.com company beacuse several poeple reccomended it to us and we realy enjoyed our trip with them, the service was wonderfull.

PS; The cheapest price is per car but you have to share that trip with other poeple and some times wait in the Airport for Hrs for the van to get full while Rome in Limo rates were just for our private Transfers and Tours.

We had an excellent time with Duman in Rome. He kept us laughing all day. We appreciated his knowledge and his timeliness. He knew exactly where to take us. We will use your service again next time we are in Rome.