Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Limo or minibus service from Frankfurt airport to Strasbourg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/limo-or-minibus-service-from-frankfurt-airport-to-strasbourg-823533/)

littlejane Jan 26th, 2010 05:24 AM

Limo or minibus service from Frankfurt airport to Strasbourg

So, RyanAir seem to have cancelled our flights to Karslruhe-Baden (we are going to Strasbourg from Dublin - there are no direct flights from Dublin to Strasbourg so this was our best bet).

Frankfurt (with Aer Lingus) seems to be the next best bet, unless we want to spend a fortune on Air France going through Paris. We would prefer not to rent a car, as we have limited time and the car drop off / pick up and paperwork always takes a while. The trains from Frankfurt to Strasbourg aren't great as they are timed to meet the UK flights rather than the Irish ones, and they are EUR114 (return) per person.

There should be a group of 5 or 6 of us, maybe more, so perhaps an option would be to hire a limo or minibus with a driver. With a budget of EUR114 per person return do you know if we could get to Strasbourg and back? Or do you know of a reliable limo company that you have used either from Frankfurt airport or from Strasbourg?

Many thanks in advance
jane

GeoffHamer Jan 26th, 2010 05:50 AM

Trains from Frankfurt airport are frequent and aren't timed to connect with any specific flights.
Connections to Strasbourg are generally hourly. DB's website gives a return fare of €104 using the fastest trains, but it's cheaper if you use regional trains.

littlejane Jan 27th, 2010 05:02 AM

Thanks Geoff - I was looking at some Lufthansa train link thingy which was obviously the wrong place to start. I'll have a look at the DB website, thanks for the tip.

Barbara5353 Jan 27th, 2010 05:12 AM

Lufthansa runs a very convenient bus from Frankfurt airport to Strasbourg. I used it to Heidelberg. The driver stows lugguge in a compartment under the bus. Much easier than carrying suitcases up and down train platforms.

www.lufthansa-airportbus.com

violetduck Jan 27th, 2010 09:30 AM

We have also used the Lufthansa bus. As Barbara stated it goes to Heidelberg also. We took it from Heidelerg to the
Frankfurt airport which saved us a change of trains and also
easier even with our small amount of luggage.Happy travels!!!

littlejane Jan 29th, 2010 02:58 AM

Thank you both - and the bus is a nicer price too (EUR84!)

TimS Jan 29th, 2010 06:36 AM

If you book far enough in advance (up to 92 days allowed) on the German Rail site, www.bahn.de, you can get a Sparpreis fare as low as 19 EUR for Frankfurt airport to Offenburg. A ticket for the short connection from Offenburg to Strasbourg costs 7.40 EUR.

Sparpreis tickets are for a specific departure date and time and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so allow yourself ample connection time between your flight's scheduled arrival time and the train's scheduled departure time.

Go the the German Rail site, enter a date within 92 days of today, and get summary timetables for Frankfurt airport-Strasbourg. Click on the arrow to the left of each departure time to see the connecting points. Note, however, that you'll only see standard fares. To see Savings fares, start over and enter Frankfurt-Offenburg. Then start over again and enter Offenburg-Strasbourg.

TimS Jan 29th, 2010 10:50 AM

Oops! I meant to say enter Frankfurt airport-Offenburg.

littlejane Jan 31st, 2010 11:34 PM

Wow - thanks Tim. I would never have figured that out by myself - it makes a big difference

jane