Limited time in Italy

Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Limited time in Italy

My son and I are going to Italy over Christmas Holidays. We land in Rome on the 25th of Dec. He needs to be in Florence for a few days, we head out of Rome on Jan. 3rd. I would like to see Venice, Rome and Florence and of course maximize what little time I have. Any ideas would be great. Accomodations have not been booked yet, so advice in that area would be good too.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM

What days does he need to be in Florence? Are you planning to travel alone and meet up with him later?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM

You have 7 full days on the ground - one of which is New Year's Day - when nothing will be open. Seeing 2 cities will be pushing it - I wouldn;t even contemplate trying to do 3.

And have you made arrangements for food on Christmas day - unless your hotel has a restaurant and you have reservations finding a plce to eat could be difficult.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM

I agree with nytraveler. I'd stick with Rome and Florence on this trip and figure out your dinner on Christmas before you arrive.

What's your hotel budget?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't even thought about food on Christmas Day, I just assumed there would be something. My son doesn't have a specific day to be in Florence, he is researching a part in a play, and wants to spend most of his time there. We have not gotten as far as hotel budget, just managed to book the flights yesterday. Definitely something comfortable and close to sites. Not extravagant, he is a starving actor, and we just paid dearly for the flights!!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

First organise Xmas dinnner as nothing worse than feeling hungery at Christmas then the accommodation. I'd be staying most of the time in Florence as you can easily train it into Rome for any thing special. Have a look at www.monasterystays.com as staying in a monastery or convent will add to your experience. I'm not sure about availablility at this late stage as these places are booked by Italians during this season. They know a good thing when they see it.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM

Will your son be going to Florence while you stay in Rome?

Without a clue as to your budget, I hesitate to make any recommendations, but... Tourist House Ghiberti in Florence shows availability for all of your days with rates ranging from 114 to 179 euros, depending on the day. 12/30 and 12/31 had the highest rates.

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/