Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Limitations on ferry travel with rental cars?

Jan 13th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I plan to rent a car, in Scotland, likely through Autoeurope or Kemwell. Does anyone know of prohibitions for taking rental cars on ferries?
Jan 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM

It is in the terms and conditions for your particular case. Start a booking process and before you have to enter your personal details, Autoeurope gives you a terms link you can look at to find out restrictions and approval requirements, if any with ferries.
Jan 13th, 2015, 11:15 AM

A ferry from where to where? You will probably not find a link on Autoeurope or similar, however when you find out which rental company you end up booking eg Hertz, then look up the T&Cs on the Hertz site. So, book on Autoeurope or Kemwell but look up T&Cs on the car rental site itself. You can do this in advance of course, you do not have to start off a booking process, for example, I entered the keyword ferry on the Hertz website and then you can add your pickup location so the appropriate info can be shown to you.

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/cus...p&search=ferry
Jan 13th, 2015, 11:16 AM

I've rented many cars in the UK/Scotland - probably 70% through autoeurope - and none prohibited taking the car on a domestic ferry, though some companies may, so do read the fine print.

A few have restricted taking the vehicle to Ireland or the continent.
Jan 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM

Any restrictions on ferries across the Irish Sea or to the Continent are generally more likely to be in the form of high supplementary charges than outright bans.

When there are such restrictions - and they may not be made clear to you in the depot - they're almost certain to involve your insurance being invalidated if you don't pay the supplement.
Jan 13th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Actually, just going to Skye, but I couldn't see any info on the autoeurope web site. I can't book the car yet, due to some unknowns (part of the trip we are travelling with our Pipe Band and the final timing of some of our engagements is not confirmed yet). I guess I'll just check he web sites of the likely rental companies for a start. Thanks
Jan 13th, 2015, 02:05 PM

>>but I couldn't see any info on the autoeurope web site<<

It wouldn't be an autoeurope requirement/restriction -- it would be dependent on whichever rental company you end up with via autoeurope.

I wouldn't worry. I've taken at least 6 different rental cars to Skye w/ no limitations. . . . . And if by bad luck you get a company w/ a weird prohibition, use the bridge instead.
Jan 13th, 2015, 02:14 PM

I agree. You really shouldn't have a problem. I've taken rental cars across the Irish Sea and back, made several trips via Skye and the mainland as well as ferries across some of the smaller isles. Never a problem.
Jan 13th, 2015, 02:25 PM

You can find it out at Autoeurope. You don't have to book the car at all. However, since Autoeurope would not know which country you are going, the kind of car you want to rent, and which location - thus the actual rental company involved, it would not know which T&C to show. To do this, go through the booking process as I mentioned. Just before having to fill your personal info, at the very bottom, there is a link to show you the T&C relevant for your particular rental.

I just did test booking process. It does show the ferry rule.

www.autoeurope.com
- Enter country, dates. I used May 9th, Edinburgh pickup
- Hertz-economy
- book now no insurance
- continue

It asks for your personal info. Don't bother. Just go to the bottom where you see:
"I have read & accept the Terms, Conditions & Local Fees."
click that link. Read the "general terms" section.

"Vehicles may not travel on ferries and/or to Island locations without pre-approval from Auto Europe"
Jan 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM

I'm looking on www.autoeurope.co.uk and it does not show the ferry rule.It does show that you can travel to Orkneys/Shetland/Isle of Man and Channel islands for no extra fee. If you take your car from the UK to Ireland there will be an additional fee. I don't normally ask Autoeurope when I take my rental car from Sweden to Denmark, but I most definitely tell the rental company when I pick up the car.
If you book thru autoeurope.com and get pre approval from them, I imagine it is the same result, as AE would get the pre approval from the rental company on your behalf. The ferry & island locations sound like a general rule and not specific to a rental company.
Jan 13th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Jan 13th, 2015, 03:59 PM

Meant to add -- from most parts of Scotland, the bridge is actually faster than the ferry (and is much cheaper) so when I said don't worry, that's what I meant. Unless you simply want to experience the Mallaig ferry, you have other options.
Jan 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, janisj, I knew that I would have a plan B. We had thought about going on the ferry (coming up from Mull) and coming back on the bridge, but it may be that the bridge is just less hassle all around. Whatever we do, I am starting to get excited. I'd better start practising the music!!!
Jan 13th, 2015, 04:16 PM

Oh -- I'm not saying avoid the ferry -- I usually take the bridge one way and ferry the other. Doing that lets you see Genfinnan monument and the viaduct one way, and Eilean Donan the other.

But IF by some slim chance your rental contract precludes it, then you can take the bridge. Like I said, every car I've rented has allowed domestic ferries.
Jan 15th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj...I knew what you meant.