Limburg, Holland - Information Please!

Sep 20th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Ellie

Limburg, Holland - Information Please!

Has anyone ever been to the southern most province of the Netherlands - Limburg??? We will be visiting a distant relative there in October and would appreciate any information anyone can offer.

Sep 20th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Myriam

Limburg is a beautiful part of the Netherlands. It's a bit hilly and you're close to Belgium and Germany.
Make sure to visit Maastricht, one of the most lively cities in the NL. If you get a chance to visit the Belgian Ardennes, this would be a nice opportunity.

Sep 20th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Old Vet

We came up from the Ardennes two years ago and stayed in a lovely place named Epen. Between Maastricht and Aachen you will find a magnificent American military cemetery, the only one in the Netherlands. It's called Margraten. Maastricht is a great place for walking around, with many excellent restaurants. The same can be said of Aachen; be sure to see the jewels of Charlemagne in the cathedral.
The countryside reminds one of northeast Iowa or eastern Pennsylvania, rolling hills with lots of woods. Great for hiking.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
Ellie

Thank you for the information!! Have you been the Thorn or Linne? What will the weather be like in October?

Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:22 PM
Susan

We recently returned from Holland. It is a facinating and beautiful country. Since we were staying with my cousin and her family, we were treated to a tour of Holland through their Dutch eyes. One of our most memorable days was visting the southern most tip of Holland. Everywhere we went was incredible, but Valconburg was most impressive. Epen was a most charming village. My cousin wanted to take us to Maastricht, but we simply didn't have time. Holland is wonderful ... enjoy your holiday!

Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:02 AM
Myriam

Thorn is a beautiful small village with cobblestoned streets where all the houses are painted in white. The church in Thorn must be worth seeing as well. At the time I was last in Thorn my interest in churches was rather small, so I didn't visit.
Thorn is not so far from Maastricht.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:27 AM
jen

Thorn is also one of the only towns in the world where nearly everybody plays a musical instrument. The competition between rival bands (marching band-type bands without the march) extends to all activities in the community. Maybe you can hear some of them practicing.