Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

life aquatic w/ steve zissou - in real life?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw wes anderson's new movie "the life aquatic" yesterday, and while it is not to be my favorite wes anderson movie of all time, i was still more than enraptured by the cinematography and scenery. i know that much of it was shot at cinecitta, a famous italian movie studio, so does anyone else who has seen the movie AND been to italy have any ideas about where, exactly, one would go in italy to replicate the scenery in real life? i loved the ancient buildings with the island vibe... is the italian riviera like this? any/all the coastal areas? maybe this question is too obvious for some of you more seasoned travellers, but i have never been to italy, and i'd like to start researching my first trip to go there now!
(sorry if this is a duplicate, but i keep trying to post and it never shows up!)
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Haven't seen this movie yet, and I guess this doesn't help you much, beyond a very general listing of regions:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362270/locations

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Miss emery

This is just a guess, but I thought I recognized Mount Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples in one of the shots. Other settings suggested one of the islands in the same area (e.g. Capri, Ischia). However, I could well be wrong.

If you haven't already seen it, I recommend The Talented Mr. Ripley. Better scenery, and a better movie (not that that is saying much.)
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks, 111op. that is more general than i was hoping for, but thanks all the same since that is a really neat service to know about! imdb is such a great resource - i didn't know that they listed locations like that. very cool.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

sue - i take it you didn't like the movie?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I didn't know either -- but anything movies related I think of imdb right away, as I use it constantly. I watch a fair number of movies (but usually the older ones), though lately I've fallen behind in terms of watching movies.