Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Liechtenstein & Luxembourg...What can you tell me about them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What experiences have you had here? Please, tell me all!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM

If you are thinking of them during your Vienna RT, I think that you are wasting valuable time. The ruling house of Lichtenstein has reopened its Vienna palace as a museum. That's more interesting than Vaduz.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Canadian:

We've visited all of the smaller guys...Liecht, Lux, San Marino, Andorra (and Citta de Vaticano, of course)..but mostly only because we were driving through the adjacent areas. We found San Marino to be the most welcoming and interesting and we spent a good part of a day there and had luunch...happened to be there for the twice annual investiture day..lots of pomp!

Andorra is one big bargain basement and the crowds thorughly congest the main city and some of the smaller villages...French pour in from the north and Spaniards from the south. The surrounding Pyrenee scenery is spectacular.

Liechtenstein is, again, only worth a bit more than a "cuppa coffee"...quiet, vineyards abound but it's best to quickly breeze in and out from Switzerland.

Luxembourg is a bit larger and does have some deep WWII history and American cemeteries...the city is inviting and not too congested, and the large public square is packed with tables from the encircling restos...the countryside is quite lush, roads are good...but again, not worth very much time.

In general, these are all pass throughs (excepting C de V), but San Marino has a little more to offer...especially on April 1st and October 1st when the investiture of the "Captain's Regent" take place.(Actually two guys of opposing parties. We had a good time there that day.

Stu T.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:37 AM

We have visited Luxembourg thrice and love the countryside. I don't particularly care for Luxembourg City but that is just my taste - others feel differently. Echternach is lovely and the approach into Vianden with the sudden view of the spectacular castle on the hill is what memories are made of.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Lichtenstein is a wide spot in the road that sells postage stamps. We drove through accidentally on the way to Austria - but didn;t stop.

Luxembourg is a whole other thing. It has a fascinating capital city, beautiful woodlands, charming small villages and a ton of WWII history (Battle of the Bulge) with a lot of cemeteries, and several local museums that we very much enjoyed.

Definitely worth several days if you have the time and are nearby. But - I think you really need a car to do it justice.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM

We actually went out of our way to drive through Liechtenstein when driving from Austria to Appenzell, Switzerland and regretted doing so. The country is pretty but not as pretty as I thought it would be, especially having just driven through the Tirolean Alps. There really isn't much there, and Vaduz was dissapointed. I was tacky and paid the 5 euro for the passport stamp and then we got lost trying to get out of the country so all in all it was a dissapointing detour.

Tracy
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We stayed in Triesenberg, Liechtenstein a while ago as our first night after landing in Zurich. The alpine scenery is very nice, but nothing you wouldn't see anywhere else in the Alps. There was really nothing else for us to do there.
Oh, if you must go anyway, we stayed at and can recommend the Hotel Martha Buehler, which was very nice and has terific Alp views from the room balconies.
www.martha-buehler.li

Paul