Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lice - Have You Ever Contracted Them While Traveling?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 05:35 AM
anon

If so, where and how did you get rid of the little buggers? A friend just got back from Europe and picked them up from a hostel. Ick!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:40 AM
buggy

My neice picked them up from school...you have to wash everything (I mean everything) she has been in contact with in boiling water (sheets, pillow cases, towels, clothing etc.). Throw out pillows she has used. And go to drug store to get the stuff to wash your hair. I think you have to use it in a couple of applications.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:49 PM
cathy

The only thing that worked for my 10 year old, who got them in Athens, was tea tree oil massaged into his scalp and shampooed out. We did it every other day for two weeks (and washed everything fabric in hot water and Lysol. Nothing else worked for us, including the drugstore stuff.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Liz Z.

If you get lice, it's not enough to wash the bedding and clothing and use Nix or the equivalent on the hair. You have to pick out the nits (lice eggs) that are attached to the hair shafts. They are not killed by the shampoo, no matter what the label says, and they hatch and make new baby liceys. So you need to have damp hair and a trusted, patient friend or family member with good eyesight who goes over your hair, strand by strand and picks out the nits, one by one, with a fine toothed comb designed for nit picking. A total drag, but mandatory to avoid reinfestation.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 05:14 PM
JOdy

It doesn't matter where you stay! we got them at the waldorf astoria and again in England at a very nice hotel , sorry the name escapes me right now. The worst part was coming home from england, staying at my very proper mother-in-laws, in NJ before returning home then having to call her and tell her to boil the sheets!

If you child picks them up in school, be prepared for a long battle. You will treat them and so will most parents but there are always one or two who ignore the problem , then it goes around and around! At the start of school our pharmacy prepares by buying GALLONS of medication!

My mother used to say , no shame in getting them , just if you keep them!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:07 PM
Suzanne

Did you notify the hotel you stayed in to let them know you contracted lice by sleeping in their beds? Also are they embedded in the mattresses or just the sheets? I would like some info from some of the medical Fodorites. Gee wiz, yet another thing to worry about with travel!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:14 PM
Mom

Hi, my son got them in school, yes, we had to wash all bedding and towels, did not throw any pillows! I got some anti-lice shampoo at a drug store, still remember how the cashier look at me!! Anyway, you have to wash the hair really well with that speacial shampoo and must use that haircomb enclosed in the carton. Another thing is a must - you never get rid of them in one shot, repeat the was after 7 days or you get infected again. This is what I've done, and my other child did not get infected, and the one who did is lice-free for years now!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Itchy

It's not just "head lice" you have to worry about. I got the other kind ("crabs") from a B&B in Vermont. That is actually easier to get rid of than head lice, but it takes a while before you figure out what the problem is. Hmmm, it's enough to make you want to stay home!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:47 PM
katie

I work in a Head Start program and lice are no fun! One important step in eliminating the little critters that I haven't seen mentioned it you also need to vacuum--chairs, sofas, carpet etc. Lice won't live on these surfaces but they will "land" there waiting to crawl onto someone else. There is also a spray which can be used on these surfaces. Also--don't forget stuffed toys (etc.) It may not sound too nice but an easy way to "clean" these items is to put them in the dryer--on hot for about 30 minutes! Or stick them all in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for a couple days. Use the medicated shampoo on your combs & brushes. There are also prescription shampoo's available for stubborn cases--but they won't help if you don't do a good job of cleaning and washing.
It should also be noted that lice are more tolerant of the current over the counter shampoos.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 02:53 PM
JOdy

suzanne..
At the risk of making you paranoid, lice are everywhere and incredibly hard to iradicate. You can notify the hotel, the only way they MIGHT get rid of them is to close down and fumigate. even that may not solve the problem. They live everywhere just waiting for a suitable host, "YOU". One of the best places for their survival is on headrests on planes, buses , trolleys ,cars etc. If youthink those little paper covers are going to protect you think again!

And katie and Mom are absolutlely right, treat then treat again, spray and clean everything you can possibly think of,even your carpeting with products that are available for the infestation. And if it is a school infestation, just hope all the other parents are as reliable as you.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 08:55 PM
Suzanne

Not trying to sound paranoid, just want to remain bug free. And lice are not everywhere. I have yet to get lice and I have traveled alot around the US and the Pacific.
I am just wondering how you can get lice from bedding if the hotel is supposed to change the sheets. Also, I thought "crabs" are picked up from sexual contact, although I read on a website you can pick them up from toilet seats.

Just wondering if I should invest in a "bed sack".

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 10:35 PM
Pesky Critters

My sister just got lice in Europe also. She's pretty sure the only place she could have gotten them was on the last train she rode on her way home. Although many also pick them up at theaters at home.

Anyway the most important thing to do, after treatment, is, as mentioned to use a good lice comb every single day to pick out the nits. Also there is some evidence that slathering mayonaise on your hair/head, then covering with plastic wrap for at least 4 hours helps. (can't be light mayonaise) Some have also had sucess with petroleum jelly instead of mayonaise. (the theory is that they suffocate)

Also once you get really desparate, there are little electrical combs you can buy to use on dry hair. (they zap the louse) They cost about $25 at Wallmart or Fred Meyers.

But again, combing out all the nits is imperative! Your local health department can diagnose lice if you aren't sure what you are looking for.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:10 AM
Suzanne

I wonder if, for women, the many things we do to our hair can be a preventative. I swim a lot, and I am sure they don't fare well in chlorine or salt water. Plus they probably don't do well with the chemicals used for coloring, perms, etc.

Still wondering, how can you pick them up in a hotel if they are supposed to wash and change the sheets between customers...

Don't want to have a "lousy" time in Europe!

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
Jody

They do wash the sheets, but NOT the blankets, bedspreads, mattress covers, chairbacks and assorted other places the little critters hide in!

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
Gaia

Where are the lice? On your head or somewhere further down?

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Chris

Sexual contact is not necessary to get crabs.

Reminds me of something a gym teacher told his class --

You can stand up on that seat
But those darn crabs can jump 10 feet.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 10:38 AM
fiona

I am surprised that there have been so many posts and yet no-one seems to know that lice DO NOT live anywhere else apart from hair. They do not survive on anything else. You can ONLY get them with direct contact with infected hair.Re children getting them- parents and family often also have the lice but do not check THEIR hair and therefore the child becomes re infected. Be sure to pick out the nits still in the hair after using the medication.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:24 PM
susie

anon:
After getting lice from a movie theatre head rest. I was told by a physician there is an epidemic and the various strains are becoming more resistant. I never had anything like it when I was a child and now I'm over forty. I was informed they only can survive about 30 minutes until they reach their next host but apparently that's up for conjecture by the hotel stories. All the treatments are above in previous posts. susie

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:01 PM
c

You know-these little critters can be picked up off of the pillows on the airplanes and the blankets. We stayed at a very nice expensive hotel in Mayfair once and there were fleas in our bed! Of course, once it was discovered, we were promptly moved to a bigger wonderful room and they made very nice-but that sort of puts a damper on a trip, scratching all the time!and I kept thinking they had mosquiots in London! Never lie on the blanket/bedspread in the hotel, and take a shawl or something for the plane..Stay safe & bug free!