Notices

lhr-vienna-bangkok

Jan 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

lhr-vienna-bangkok

Lhr-vie-bkk
Hi all. Going to Thailand this year and the best priced flight i have found so far is with a stop at Vienna. On the way out there is just a 30min stop for connection to the next flight. All the the flights are with Austrian/Tyrolean.
Has anyone else done this trip before with only 30min changeover? What was your experience like?
It will be myself, my wife and our 3 yr old son.
Thanks.
Jan 18th, 2013, 01:15 PM

No,but I often use Vienna for flights between London and eastern Europe.

Vienna's geared up to handle these things. FWIW, it's not yet let me down (I think): in practice all these connections are really Austrian Air - Austrian Air, and to eastern Europe there'll be another one in a couple of hours if we're late.

I imagine the consequences of a mess up outside Austrian's control (like today at LHR) are trickier if Austrian (or rather LaudaAir as was) only has one ongoing flight a day (or fewer) to your final destination. They'll put you on the next flight - but if you really need to be in Bangkok for a pre-fixed meeting you need to check with Austrian when that might be.

If you just plan to sit on a beach, and it's half the price of the direct BA, Thai or Qantas flight, I'd take the 1% risk of two days stuck in Vienna. If your business depends on making a pitch to a potential client in Bangkok at a specific time, I'd spend the extra.
Jan 20th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

We are going to visit family, 1st time in 2 years.
Austria have said if flight is delayed and we miss the connecting flight then we would be put on next avail flight, but that's 24hrs later!
Its a tough one, direct is so expensive now, a connection cuts the cost hugely but its hard to find a decent flight with a short/hour connection, most are 4-5+
Jan 20th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

We are going to visit family, 1st time in 2 years.
Austria have said if flight is delayed and we miss the connecting flight then we would be put on next avail flight, but that's 24hrs later!
Its a tough one, direct is so expensive now, a connection cuts the cost hugely but its hard to find a decent flight with a short/hour connection, most are 4-5+

Search this Thread