Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > LHR to Paddington Station hotel using HEX

LHR to Paddington Station hotel using HEX

Mar 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

LHR to Paddington Station hotel using HEX

My friend's son (19 yo) is traveling alone from Newark to LHR on Continental. They are then all meeting up at a hotel right at Paddington Station. She has already purchased his HEX ticket. For her peace of mind, I told her I'd check into the logistics of getting from the plane to the hotel. I know he can follow the crowd through the airport process, but then it's trickier.

1. While on plane, fill out landing card
2. Plane arrives at LHR (don't know the Terminal #)
3. Head to Passport Control and hand over landing card - answering questions about how long staying and purpose of trip.
4. If he has baggage to claim, he goes upstairs to pick it up.
5. Head to Customs, following green line as he'll have nothing to declare.
6. Head to HEX area to take train to Paddington Station (signage? direction?)
7. HEX - 15 minutes
8. Get off at Paddington Station
9. Head to hotel entrance (don't know the Hotel name)

It sounds simple, but this is all new to him. Please add any details that would be helpful. Thanks.
Mar 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM

For my skinflint self, I'd take the Tube to Piccadilly Circus and the Bakerloo Line to Paddington. Or the Tube to Hyde Park Corner and a #36 or 436 bus to the station.
Mar 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM

You have covered it well. Once through customs he will be in the arrival area. There are large signs with direction to the Heathrow Express, perhaps 5/10 minutes. The train depart every 15 minutes so he might have to wait a few minutes. The only hotel at the station, that I am aware, is the Hilton.
Mar 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Good job.

You might want to find out what airline he is flying to determine which terminal and then goodle London Heathrow Airport for further info such as terminal maps, etc.

As for #4: Change to "follow signs to baggage claim". (Not necessarily upstairs)

After exiting customs, he will enter the main terminal area.

#6 There is signage in the terminals for the Underground and Heathrow Express
Mar 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Your description and and your friend's decision to buy HEX tickets are both wrong.

Continental uses T4: the HEX doesn't.

If he wants to use the HEX, he has to get the Heathrow Connect from T4 to T1-3. He then gets off and waits on the same platform for a HEX.

The HEX will pass the Connect and get to Paddington about 5 mins earlier. Frankly, if I were the son, I'd conclude that's what always happens if you indulge your mother's ridiculous obsession with spoonfeeding, and stay on the Heathrow Connect. I'd decide the five minutes' delay would be well worth the limitless opportunities for waving this at her in later life as an example of what happens if you treat adults as children.
Mar 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for these details. My friend and her husband have two sons arriving in London at different times and all meeting at the Paddington hotel; a little unnerving.

So, he'll arrive at Terminal 4 and from there head to Passport Control/Customs. Once through all that and in the main terminal area, he can follow the signs to Heathrow Express.

Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM

OK, assuming flannerUK is right (which is a safe bet), you read this wrong golfmom. This is what happens:

The boy gets off flight at terminal 4, goes through customs, retrieves his baggage and gets on the Heathrow Connect, not the HEX. No HEX at Terminal 4.

From that point, he has the option to take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington (about 30 minutes, 6.90 gbp) or transfer at the terminal 1-3 station for the HEX (five minutes from T4 to T1-3, __ minutes before express departs, 15 minutes LHR to Paddington).

If the boy buys his ticket on the H'EX, it costs 19.50 gbp; if he gets out of the Heathrow Connect train, goes to a ticket machine or ticket office, and buys his ducat, it costs 16.50 (per Heathrow Express website). In other words, he'll cost his parents about another 10-13 gbp (up to nearly $20) to take a different train that will MAYBE enable him to get to Paddington five minutes earlier than the one he will have to board at Terminal 4. There aren't too many 19-year olds whose time is worth $180-240 per hour to anyone, least of all their parents.

Simply stated, forget the HEX, have him stay on the Heathrow Connect to Paddington.
Mar 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Hey guys, I believe she stated that the HEX ticket has been purchased! You want him to toss it out?
Mar 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Now I understand. Unfortunately, my friend's son will have to go the "round about" and more expensive way because his mom already purchased online the HEX ticket. From the first replies I wasn't clear if Terminal 4 had it's own customs location or if everyone travelled to the Main Terminal Area for a central customs area. Now I understand that Passport etc. can be done at Terminal 4 and from there it's an easy jaunt to Paddington on the Heathrow Connect. But not for my friend's son!; he'll transfer to T1-3 and wait for the next HEX train. Thank you everybody.
Mar 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM

for me
Mar 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Make sure the boys write down their experiences and impressions during their trip.

This should be good.
Mar 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM

This is a good lesson of "ask (Fodors) first.. Buy later"
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM

The one advantage for his parents is that they can wait at the exit from the platforms for HEX and not miss him (unless they try hard). I believe, but haven't been in Paddington recently, there is an entry to the hotel from the station.
Mar 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM

That makes one advantage to six or eight disadvantages. If these young un's can't get from an airport to a hotel, how on earth will they cope with getting to LHR in the first place?
Mar 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM

And the "young un" is actually 19!
Mar 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I started on a post earlier pointing out some things that 19s are expected to do - like steer icebreakers, land on carriers, and lead infantry squads into battle.

But then I thought "that's unfair. Maybe he's retarded."
Mar 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Missed the fact that she'd already bought the HEX ticket. Bad move there. Just cost her an extra 10 quid. Considering how much a teen eats . . . And given this mom's worries about the boy finding his way, it seems he'd have been better off riding the Connect to Paddington without changing trains.
Mar 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Hey, my DD, who is not the most "with it" (although she has traveled a fair amount) managed at 19 to fly to Heathrow and take the tube to Russell Square and find her way to the hotel, all by her lonesome. All I'm saying is, if she can do it....

Search this Thread