LHR to LGW - one day/night - where to stay/what to see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returning home via London and will arrive LHR 11am then leave LGW next morning 10 am
do we head out and drop luggage at a hotel near LGW then go into London for a few sights/dinner or stay in London. From other posts I read that Victoria station has express service to Gatwick but it seems very expensive. Private shuttle to Gatwick seems almost as reasonable. What would be most economical? Any suggestions.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>do we head out and drop luggage at a hotel near LGW then go into London </i>"

Not w/ those flight times, I wouldn't. That is a very nice layover (not like some that land @8:30 PM and depart at 7:30 AM - that is dreadful.)

Head into London and stay at a hotel near Victoria, near London Bridge, or near St Pancras. Each have trains to LGW. Victoria would be my choice.

The Gatwick Express is fairly expensive but only takes 30 minutes. A car service would take FOREVER and cost as much or more. But there are cheaper (much cheaper) trains from Victoria to LGW that only take a few minutes longer than the GEX.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Gatwick is NOT close to London therefore car services cost an arm and a leg and the traffic is fairly horrendous. If you're not liking the notion of the Gatwick Express prices, then go to Gatwick by an express Southern Line train from London Bridge or Victoria the next morning, which take about the same amount of time as the Express (the railways are so congested from Victoria to Gatwick, a path that travels through two extremely busy stations outside Central London [Clapham Junction and East Croyden] that the Gatwick Express does not spend much time at or near its top speed).

The train from London Bridge to Gatwick makes an express run (one stop at East Croyden, avoids the Clapham Junction chokepoint) in about 28 minutes v. 30 minutes for the Gatwick Express from Victoria. Victoria is more centrally located generally, but if you want to run to London, see the Tower and St. Paul's fairly quickly with a quick walk by the Monument and spend a night in the area, then London Bridge is very convenient for that limited itinerary.

Whatever you do, the LEAST convenient way to see part of London on the day's layover would be to go from LHR to someplace near LGW, then backtrack to London to visit ____ and then return to the LGW area.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, makes more sense...we will look into those areas, London Bridge sounds more suitable. We're a little overwhelmed and the time is short.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM

There is a premier inn near London bridge that is affordable and well located and affordable...
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

No room at the inn...just realized that the olympics start the very same day, no choice in the dates for us because we'll be in Europe for a wedding. Maybe have to see London another time. Booked Premier inn Gatwick.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a TON of inexpensive hotels around Victoria - you should be able to find a room at one of them. Many will be full but try Londontown.com - it will only list hotels w/ availability.

That would be a much better option than LGW for this layover.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I'll keep looking...i have the option to cancel the Gatwick hotel, thanks