Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LHR Hours of Operation for Inter-Terminal Trains

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello, everyone.
I'm going to be spending the night at the Yotel at LHR Terminal 4 in June 2019. I have a flight to Vilnius out of Terminal 2 the next morning and need to be at the gate at 4.30 am. Do the inter-terminal trains run 24 hours? I imagine they would, but I can't find any info online. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 06:51 PM

I'm really surprised but that info is nowhere to be found, either on the Heathrow airport website or Yotel's. I'd email the hotel or/and the airport and ask the question. By the way, we stayed at the Yotel at Gatwick, years ago, and it was great. So convenient, it made getting to an early morning flight a breeze.

Kay
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 08:20 PM

One thing to consider: yotel's are great for a short stop/rest up. But for overnight they aren't that cheap since they basically charge by the hour. You can likely get a 'real' hotel along the Bath road/A4 for less and actually be closer to T-2. It would be a 5 minute cab ride at that time of day.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 08:26 PM

The trains come less frequently in early hours of the day. At 4:30am we had to wait 30 minutes for a train to another terminal. The hotel had recommended we take a taxi at that time of day.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll take a taxi and save myself the stress. The Yotel is 72 pounds for 7 hours, so while not a bargain, it's not bad and worth the convenience, in my opinion.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 02:01 AM

AFAIK there are no flights from LHR to VNO, is it a connection you are taking? Most flights depart no earlier than 6am from T2, most airlines allow online check-in anyway so you might not need to be at the terminal that much in advance, unless you have bags to drop. On the assumption you really do need to be at the gate by 4.30am latest, staying close to T4 makes no sense. The Heathrow Express website and the TFL website give information on the earliest/latest trains, there are either none or very few at the hour you need.
I'd stay somewhere on the Bath Road and look into taking the bus but even the Heathrow Hoppa doesn't start operating until 4am, at least it would be a shorter cab ride to T2, get the hotel to order a cab to take you to the terminal at that hour.

And/or keep an eye on when the Hilton will open at T2

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...EGI/index.html

Last edited by Odin; Dec 14th, 2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 09:01 AM

>>Thanks, everyone. I think I'll take a taxi and save myself the stress. The Yotel is 72 pounds for 7 hours, so while not a bargain, it's not bad and worth the convenience, in my opinion. <<

Your choice -- but to give you an idea I'm staying at a 'real' hotel at LHR - a Radisson - for $65 (yes - 52) on the Bath Road which is 1) cheaper than the Yotel, 2) nicer than the Yotel, AND 3) closer/more convenient/shorter cab ride to T-2. And I could have found something even cheaper with a Premier Inn or similar.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all the options. I appreciate the time you took to research this for me. Yes, it's a connection through Copenhagen at 6.55am. I'm afraid I'm obsessed with being at airports way earlier than needed. I thought that if I plan for 4.30 check-in - if something goes wrong on the way - I've got a time cushion built in and also time for breakfast. I'm coming in the night before from Wales, so it's easy just to jump on the Heathrow Express at Paddington, transfer to Terminal 4, and settle in at the Yotel. I've stayed there before and like to walk the terminal and people-watch.

I'm a relatively spry travel-experienced 69-year-old with only carry-on luggage, but just don't want the (small, I admit) hassle of bus to a hotel, bus back to airport in the morning. I agree - I'm taking the expensive way out.

Again, thanks for all the advice.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 12:17 AM

Instead of going all the way into Paddington and taking the overpriced Heathrow Express, get off at Reading and take the Rail Air link bus. It will be quicker and cheaper

https://www.heathrow.com/transport-a..._air-bus-links
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 10:01 AM

>>Instead of going all the way into Paddington and taking the overpriced Heathrow Express, get off at Reading and take the Rail Air link bus. It will be quicker and cheaper<<

And would let you off at the central bus station right next to T-2 -- more convenient and cheaper all around (but you seem set on the Yotel)
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 06:52 PM

The Premier Inn at Terminal 4 was much less than what you are quoting when we stayed there last summer. It is a 5-10 minute underground walk from the train and right next to bus stops outside. It is a new hotel and very quiet and comfortable. Check it out to see if it is cheaper than the yotel.