Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LHR en route to York - your recommendation for a stopover ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving LHR in September and expect to pick up a car at the airport and be on the road by 1400-1500 at the latest.

Our destination is York but we do not plan to drive straight there. We would like to be off the road by 1800-1900 at the latest, and spend the night in a comfortable hotel, b&b or guesthouse. We prefer to avoid chains.

Any recommendations about where to stop and stay?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I have tried, but have failed to locate a place between LHR and York other than London. Why not consider a two hour train ride from London to York and pick up your car in York?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks Roger - this is certainly an option to consider. I've taken the train before and really enjoyed it; however my two travelling companions prefer to drive.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM

If you are taking th eM1 you 'll be close to Nottingham..there is a nice hotel in Ruddington a few miles from there . I can't remember if it's called the Country House or Country Cottage.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:11 PM

How about Lincoln? A destination equal to York in many ways. We stayed at a b&b called apple house or apple orchard or somit like that a few years ago.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Is this after an overnight transatlantic flight? If so, you may very well be jet lagged and too tired to drive safely. The route north from LHR will be pretty congested.

Why not consider staying the first night at Windsor - a very short drive from LHR. Then you can drive up to York the next day after a good night's sleep.

I'd personally take the train up and pick up a car the second day in York. But if that isn't agreeable to everyone - stick close to LHR and then drive after some rest.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Hi
I have driven back and forward from Yorkshire (I live there) to London more times than I care to think about. Of course there are numerous good and interesting places to stay on route!!! Please give me an idea of your interests - scenery? stately homes? gardens? villages? Then I will have more idea of where to recommend.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I'll have a look at all the suggestions.

Morgana, to answer your questions re preferences - we would prefer rural/village scenery or gardens over urban. We like one of a kind places, locally owned and operated. We don't really care for amenities like TV or air conditioning. We'd like to find an attractive pub or bar nearby for a quiet drink after we check in. We have all driven a lot in England so feel no need to stick to the M's.

Many thanks everyone
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:45 AM

We've also spent the night in Lincoln. If that is too big a town, try the Bell Inn in Stilton. I've never stayed there but had lunch while driving LHR - York. It is a very nice historic pub with good food. We've always thought it would make a nice stop.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Hi again. Ok, a suggestion - you stay in Stamford, Lincolnshire. This is a good way up the Great North Road (A1) but not a horrendous drive, and the town is very easily accessible. It's such a lovely little town, often used by the BBC to film their classical dramas, and yet I bet you don't see many other visitors! It is full of golden stoned buildings, and plenty of pubs! A qick google brings up plenty of pix. For somewhere to stay have a look at www.rock-lodge.co.uk or www.stamfordlodge.co.uk
This is a lovely part of England but very much off the tourist trail. However, if I'm not on the right track come back to me and I'l have another go! Next day you'll have time to explore the area, even go to Lincoln Cathedral, and then an easy drive up to York.
M
M
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
jay

Why stop anywhere. I would go straight there. You will get an earlier start the next morning.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

morgana Stamford is a great suggestion - I will look into it right away

Sprin, the Bell Inn sounds like a winner too.

many thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I posted a trip report on another thread a while back - I will just add to thisone that Stamford was a great treat - an unspoiled beauty of a a town. However I would not recommend the Stamford Lodge where we stayed (more like a boarding house than a B&B). Instead try Candlesticks or the George. The George has a special deal on Saturdayas where if you have a 3-course meal in the resto, the rooms are GBP20. Book ahead!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:19 AM

I have to echo all the other calls for Stamford as being a good stop, especially the George.

If you are there on a Saturday, it (the George) does get very busy.

If you wish to venture just a little bit beyond Stamford (5-6 miles), you could try The Finches Arms Pub at Hambleton http://www.rutnet.co.uk/customers/finchs/gardenroom.asp or Barnsdale Lodge http://www.barnsdalelodge.co.uk/