Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   L'Hotel, relais Christine or Esprit St. germain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lhotel-relais-christine-or-esprit-st-germain-1083122/)

emcash Jan 6th, 2016 07:36 AM

L'Hotel, relais Christine or Esprit St. germain

We have only been to Paris for a quick trip before and had a wonderful stay at Le Meurice. We would like to try the left bank this time around. We know we won't get the opulence and luxury of the right bank there, but would still like an outstanding hotel with a luxurious feel. These 3 seem to be our top contenders. Wondering if any of you might have any thoughts on which to choose? Thank you!

Christina Jan 6th, 2016 09:07 AM

Are you the one who wanted a spa? Well, I think only Relais Christine has one, although l'Hotel has a private hammam or whatever they call it and you can get a massage. But they don't call it a spa.

L'Hotel is the only one that has a restaurant, I believe -- which is odd that you can get 5* status and not have a restaurant in France (I knew you didn't need one for 4*), but I admit it is kind of silly when you are in the middle of the city surrounded by restaurants and things are tight on the Left Bank. But if you care about that, that would mean l'Hotel. Although their rooms are really small unless you get up to the junior suite, I believe. But if you are at that level, okay. I know celebrities have stayed there off and on BTW, so it must have something (like Liz taylor, Grace Jones, Jagger, Princess Grace) http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...paris-20121102

https://girlsguidetoparis.com/paris-...es-beaux-arts/

emcash Jan 6th, 2016 04:31 PM

Thanks Christina. Relais Christine and Esprit both offer full breakfasts, so they must have a kitchen, but maybe not restaurants? That wouldn't' matter to me. It's hard navigating these smaller hotels finding what you're looking for! I appreciate the advice!

brubenow Jan 6th, 2016 04:48 PM

I believe I've read that Relais Christine is in a quieter area than Esprit Saint Germain. So if getting a good night's rest is important, that might be a consideration.

Robert2533 Jan 6th, 2016 06:27 PM

We've been using the Esprit Saint Germain since shortly after it opened and continued after it was sold to the new owner. For qualify it's hard to beat, but I would only go with a superior room or the top floor suite.

And yes, it's location is fairly quiet.

Cali Jan 6th, 2016 09:52 PM

We also have stayed at Esprit Saint Germain several times and we liked it very much. They do serve breakfast and have wine and cheese available later in the day. We also were served wine and cheese in our room. We did not have or see other meals served in the hotel, but found several restaurants we liked in the area. Do go for a Superior Room or the top floor suite. We found the location to be very quiet and felt comfortable walking all over around the hotel.

emcash Jan 7th, 2016 03:30 AM

Robert and Cali, what star rating would you describe the Esprit? The top floor suites- with terrace and without, are close to 1000 euros a night. That's right up there with the luxury right bank hotels.

emcash Jan 7th, 2016 03:32 AM

Also, Esprit's top room is about 300 euro more than the Christine- worth it? Are they the same level hotel?

Weekender Jan 7th, 2016 06:55 AM

Based on your ongoing requests, I think you should be contacting a Virtuoso travel agent. Virtuoso specializes in luxury travel.

http://www.virtuoso.com/

Lois2 Jan 7th, 2016 07:10 AM

absolutely sgree with weekender...they should be able to give detailed description of the accommodations OP seeks and also they can often give you a better than "rack rate" price.

emcash Jan 7th, 2016 09:42 AM

I actually do have a virtuoso agent I am working with and she has been helpful but i like to try to research as much as I can as well. I have been reading mixed reviews of both properties and want to make sure the property is the right one for us. Love this forum for getting first hand experiences.

Lois2 Jan 7th, 2016 01:13 PM

I assume you will get similar responses on TA where I see you have asked the same questions.

Whathello Jan 7th, 2016 01:30 PM

Sure, TA experts/regulars are great.
I'd ask if they have stayed in the hotels they recommend, though.

I'm knowledgeable on Paris hotels but not at that price range.

Enjoy your stay !

emcash Jan 7th, 2016 02:27 PM

Thanks all- I actually got some great answers on TA from people who have stayed at the hotels. Appreciate the help.

Lois2 Jan 7th, 2016 03:28 PM

i note the replies on TA and honestly given that you mention Le Meurice a hotel that I am very familiar with over the years...its ambiance, rooms, level of service etc. no hotels being suggested to you are anywhere near that level...just so you are prepared for that...in fact some mentioned are considered more budget.

emcash Jan 7th, 2016 03:37 PM

Thank you Lois. I am not in any way expecting Le Meurice on the left . I am just stating that we had a fabulous stay there and wondering if there is anything even somewhat luxurious on the left bank. I know I can't expect anywhere near the same kind of experience, I would stay on the right to get that, but i'm just curious, not really knowing the left bank, if there is anything considered outstanding or exceptional or luxurious on the left.

janisj Jan 7th, 2016 03:40 PM

Yes -- when I read the Meurice in the OP I didn't post to the thread. I don't think any properties (at least that I know of) on the LB will be even close to Le Meurice.

Lois2 Jan 7th, 2016 03:50 PM

okay..then I think the Relais Christine suite type room is probably a very good choice...more charm than outright luxury but actually that can be very nice and you will love the left bank area.

Cali Jan 7th, 2016 09:03 PM

We did use a Virtuoso agent that we use often and she got us some nice perks at the Esprit St Germain so were more than happy with the accommodations. We have not stayed at the Relais Christine so cannot compare. We did have friends who stayed there and they liked it. I don't know if I would call the Esprit a full 5* compared to some other places we have stayed but it was lovely and we enjoyed it enough to go back. My favorite room in Europe was the Amstel Intercontinental in Amsterdam where we had a fabulous huge suite. I think our travel agent really is a great help in getting us great rooms and some very nice perks.

Robert2533 Jan 7th, 2016 11:15 PM

The Esprit Saint Germain is a true 5-star property, but on the small size. The original owner was quite specific on how the property was to be run, like coming home to your rather comfortable country home, but in the city. The new owner has kept it that way.

We've had several clients who have enjoyed their stay and one, a couple of years ago, wanted to buy it, but that was out of the question.