Search

Levante Laudon in Vienna??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
mlb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Levante Laudon in Vienna??

Looking for a hotel in Vienna in late March/early April and was thinking of booking the Levante Laudon but can't find many reviews of this hotel....has anyone seen it and care to comment?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:46 AM

We have been looking at that and thinking about possibly spending Christmas there (if we don't go to Bavarian Alps, might do a week in Vienna and a week in Alps). I am thinking of "test driving" it later this month for a few days.
Did you check their web site?
http://www.levantelaudon.viennahotel...ls/main-en.htm

I did find one glowing review on TA and it sounds like a "real" review, not bogus.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
mlb
Original Poster

Please post a review here or at tripadvisor if you check it out.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 01:46 AM

I probably won't stay there because I'll be solo on this trip and will probably stay at the Kaiserin Elisabeth. But I will definitely go by the hotel to check it out. I will ask to see a couple of the apartments.
If we go for Christmas holidays, it would be a perfect choice because it's got parking, is pet friendly (cocker spaniel coming along), has high speed Internet access, and the little kitchenette will be useful for cooking up a light meal on Christmas day when the restaurants will be closed.
Anyway, I will check it out in a couple of weeks and be sure to let you know. It does look very inviting.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
mlb
Original Poster

Thanks again! You may also want to check out the new Levante Parliament which is due to open on April 1st. It is a member of the designhotels group and looks very nice from their website:

http://www.thelevante.com/

I think I am going to stay there in April.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Because we are considering a Christmas stay in Vienna and my husband thought the place looked good, I did book a room at the Levante Laudon for one night in early March to test the waters. Will let you know how it goes!
The Levante Parliament looks good too, but the Levante Laudon is all suites with kitchenettes which would suit our Christmas travel plans more (esp. on Christmas day when most restaurants would be closed--we can whip up a nice light meal for ourselves in the suite). It's also cheaper than the Levante Parliament.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Look at the posting regarding tis hotel on the Vienna forum of Trip Advisor.

I did not know about this hotel and read the various posts on Trip Advisor.. Very strange that 4 of 6 or 7 total posters were new to Trip Advisor - had joined only in January or February of 2006 and only have posted about this hotel.

Just a coincidence? After reading various recent comments here on Fodors about hotel reviews perhaps I am too cautious but it seems very unusual. An on site look before reserving could be good.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Well, one night there isn't going to kill me even if it isn't as nice as the photos or other info suggest. It's still a 4 star hotel and at least everything is new.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM
mlb
Original Poster

Dear molker...good point, do you live in Vienna? If so, would it be possible for you to check it out? It would really mean a lot to all of us interested....I actually have reservations there and at the Levante Parliament coming up this spring. I also have reservations at the Style Hotel (my backup), but will have to cancel one of these before I leave.

I'm eager to hear BTilke's assessment as well.

Thanks to all!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM

mlb:

I live in Vienna.

I will be in the area of the hotel next week- will go in and have a look and then post.

I did not know the hotel and the strange posting pattern on Trip Advisor was unusual .
The new posters making that hotel their only subject - not posting before or since about any subject - makes one suspect.

Regarding the Style Hotel- I live not far from it- excelent location- modern style- seems OK with an active bar scene
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
mlb
Original Poster

Thanks for the input molker! If you could check this one out next week, that would be great.

I did do some searching around and found some other good reviews of the Levante Laudon from here:

http://www.bookings.org/hotel/at/the...tml?aid=304831

and also Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldgui...nna?poi=169608

I really hope they are right! Looking forward to your review....mlb
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I've booked one of the superior apartments and my friend has booked one of the standards, so I will report back on both.
Thanks for posting the other reviews. The biggest negative seems to be the sparseness of the breakfast. We're not huge breakfast eaters, so that's not a deal breaker for us.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:07 AM

I visited the Levante Laudon two times to have a look several days ago.

The Hotel has no sign as yet. But no problem as building has street number ( 8)
You will find it easily as place next to it is the " Ugly Cafe" with a large sign proudly announcing themselves.

Building looks typical for the street and 19th century architecture. It appears that extensive renovations have been done. The front doors still need some restoration and painting- the remaining parts of the building I saw have renovations completed.

To the left after entering is a small Reception area- modern style in character with photos- No one was at front desk or elsewhere.
A phone on the Reception Desk asks you to call for service.

A small breakfast or snack room is next to the Reception.
A very nice Hof ( Inner Courtyard) with several trees looks like it could be used for breakfasts etc. in summer weather.It appears that some of the apartments look out to this Hof and would be very quiet.
First impression was good.
I returned later and found the Reception now " Manned"
I was not able to see any apartments as I was told "none are available at this time."
Desk Person advised me that the standard apartments have not been renovated but are stil very nice while the deluxe have been renovated and look just like the photos.

I was advised to return " next week " to see an apartment - thus can not comment on them unfortunately.
My first impression is that mangement would not spend money on exterior renovations and Reception area and not upgrade apartments.
But during my time there I saw no Guests. It was very quiet.

The building is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Rathaus for access to public transport and is on a relatively quiet street.

While the streetcars 43 and 44 appear to be close- they do not have stops nearby to the hotel. nearest is near to Schottentor.Either walking to the Rathaus or Schottentor is probably best way to quickly access streetcar, u-bahn.
Thus not as convenient as they market but not really bad.

Sorry I can not add more- if no reviews by actual guests before my next time in that area- I will stop by again
But hopefully BTilke or oters will actually have stayed there and posted their inpressions.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM
mlb
Original Poster

Thanks molker!

This does make me feel a little more reassured, although it is too bad you didn't get to see one of the units. I currently have a city superior apt reserved and also the Levante Parliament for later in April.

I'll continue to check this post and see if BTilke will have something to add - I think he is staying at the Laudon in early March.

One question - how would you suggest we get to the Laudon from VIE? Can we take the train to the Rathaus?

Thaks again for taking the time to check this place out. I appreciate it!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM

I forgot to mention the Parlament.
They say this will open in April.
It is a hotel- roooms and suites only- no apartments.
The same style-

Re best way to the Levante Laudon apartments-

Naturally taxi is easiest.

Depending on your arrival location ( airport- train station) I assume by VIE - you mean the airport.

You can take airport bus ( just outside Arrivals Hall) to city center Schwedenplatz then transfer to streetcar #1 or 2- they stop very near to the bus stop.
Take streetcar to Rathaus stop- then a 5-10 minute walk to the Levante Laudon- general direction behind the Rathaus from north side several short winding streets - but easy to find.
I can provide detailed street names if you wish. Must check as I do not remember them.

If you have much luggage- I would suggest a taxi-
several airport services available

www.airportservice.at

www.ck-airportservice.at
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM
mlb
Original Poster

Thanks again molker!

I think I will just reserve a taxi from one of the sites you listed. We will have 1 large bag and another medium sized, so this will make it a lot easier.

Thanks for the sites you listed as I didn't realize there were airport taxis. They seem fairly reasonable.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM

These services wait for you as you exit from the baggage claim area to the Arrivals Hall , usually on the left side- usual sign with your name.
For 2 or more people it is not much more than bus streetcar combo and much less stress

Good Luck!

You save at least 10 euro when compared to regular taxi service outside.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Well, I am here in Vienna! It is beautiful and at the moment, we are having a heavy snow shower. I have just finished a four-course lunch at Steirereck, so I am in a very good mood ;-) I am not sure I will still be staying at the LL at the end of next week due to travel plans, but do hope to visit them, probably tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Forgot to add, last year, when I took a taxi to the Sofitel from the airport, the rate was 31 euros. The airport shuttle (which also will drop you off right at your hotel) was 15 euros, if it's still available. I booked it in the arrival area near the stand with the Hundterwasser type columns. For comparison, the rate I paid Saturday for a taxi from the Westbahnhof to my hotel was 12 euros. I think he took a longer route than necessary, but I didn't mind.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
mlb
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the shuttle BTilke!

Please let us know if/when you are able to check out the Levante Laudon....