Greek Islands - which one ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my husband have just returned from a wonderful trip to Mykonos and Athens. We loved Greece so much that we want to start planing another trip for next year.

We would like to see Santorini this time combined with another island.

Could anyone recomend an island that is as charming as Mykonos, with winding streets, nice beaches and good restaurants ?

Thank you for any advice !
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I know I sound like johnny one-note, but I may as well jump in with my perennial suggestion for a santorini pairing -- Naxos.

Naxos is the 2nd largest island in the Cyclades, with the BEST golden sandy beaches of the Lot (15 miles in a row!), with a winding mazey agora you'll love, a harborside crescent of cafes and shops that is enchanting.

It has far more ancient sites & history than Mykonos, breathtaking mountain landscapes inland, AND unlike Mykonos & Santorini, it is a GREEN island... plenty to explore in a rental car (which is cheaper there). In fact everything there is less expensive -- lodgings are on average HALF what you pay in Mykonos or Santorini.

Several ferries per day go to Naxos from Santorini -- the Blue Star ferries are the open-deck ones. Thus, if u flew into Santorini, you can get that cliff-from- the-water view that all those cruisey people are always raving about. And you can either ferry back to Athens or get an Olympic flight.

As a visual preview of Naxos' treats, here's a slide show by one of Fodor's most trusted Naxos gurus, "Stanbr".
http://tinyurl.com/36x798

On second thought, why am I always telling people about Naxos? They always fall in love with it, and tell others who tell others who tell.... and soon it will be inundated. Forget this message!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:20 AM

I'm with you travelerjan. It's a great pairing with lovely contrasts . . .

Although if you're expecting/seeking a place that caters almost solely to tourists (i.e., Mykonos), it's a bit of a change. For me, the fact that Naxos has a n economy that isn't solely tourism driven is an attraction, but I know that's not a universal.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Santorini is, and always will be, a "must see".

Naxos was nice; Paros too. I confess I haven't been to either since 1979.

Thing is - there are so many wonderful islands. It depends on how you wish to travel between them. And what the possible connex are.

If you want to concentrate on the Cyclades only, then pretty much nuff said.

But you might want to check out Symi. Still pretty "mainstream" but glorious all the same. Lesbos is another, though it's a long way from Santorini and would involve a flight.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Naxos has already long since become inundated with tourists. In fact, according to one knowledgeable travel source, Naxos is now the most visited island in Greece. When I first went there many years ago there was one boat a day; the last time I went there Hora was a zoo, which is why it was the last time I went there.

Paros is as overcrowded as Naxos, maybe worse since it's smaller.

Symi is spectacularly beautiful but as touristed as Mykonos or Corfu. It's one of the few islands where it can be hard to find a room without an advance reservation, even in shoulder season.

For another island matching the OP's description, try Sifnos, Spetses, Hyddra, or Folegandros, none of them untouristed, but at least they haven't become total circuses.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Hi Zaraconti - Santorini would also combine with Crete, maybe ...

If you want to go further afield how about Skiathos? Rhodes? Kefalonia? Parga? (- mainland Greece but beautiful).

The choice is endless ...

Steve
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM

"Inundated" seems a bit strong for Naxos, especially if you've battled the herds on Mykonos, Santorini and Hydros.

I'd love to see numbers that back up that unnamed "knowledgeable travel source" who says Naxos is the most visited given that the cruise and airline flights are far, far fewer than Santorini, Mykonos, Crete ... while ferry connections are similar

Beside of its size, there are few other islands that offer the blend of amenities with the possibility of getting away from the throngs. Plus Naxos offer such a diversity of terrain -- from charming hill towns to tiny pockets of beach to decent classical sites -- that there is something for everybody.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM

And the largest island in the Cyclades is ...
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM

... Naxos, of course, which doesn't mean it draws more visitors, but instead gives tourists more room to spread out and roam.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM

The trouble is, most tourists don't spread out and roam - they stick to the small part of Naxos stretching from chora to Plaka Beach.

Much as I love Naxos, it is getting crowded. Those who visit in May might not notice, but when I was there in mid-June this year it was already busy. High season must be hell.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM

That's why I'm glad I'm not like most tourists ... and there's no rule that anyone has to be.

Too many sheep out there ... there's plenty to enjoy outside of the Hora, St. George and Prokopis and what I like is the great diversity of the island within a relatively small area.

I enjoy the smaller more isolated islands too but Naxos offers a nice mix for tourists, expecially U.S. ones who often seemed to be locked into that Santorini-Mykonos circuit like those are the only two islands out there.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I agree, repete. Where do you stay when on Naxos?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Zaraconti please tell us what you loved about mykonos in order to provide more info!
Almost every cycladic island has winding streets etc (not as many as mykonos though) and good restaurants you can find everywhere!
As i've said some times before i didn't particularly enjoyed Naxos. I prefer smaller islands..
So apart from Santorini which you MUST visit, i could suggest Paros or Sifnos.
Some other poster mentioned Symi. One of my favourites but far away unfortunately!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I loved Naxos! There were many tourists (of many nationalities, including a lot of Greeks) but it didn't feel crowded, more like festive. It's a beautiful island with excellent sandy beaches and a ton of stuff to see. One of the days I was there I took a bus tour and there were several stops that were worth the visit (though I wouldn't necessarily recommend the tour because it was just so much time on the bus). You can read about it here http://travelathomeandabroad.blogspo...s-by-bus.html; there are entries for the other days I spent on Naxos as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM

nicegirl: I really enjoyed your blogs on your trip to Naxos and your comments on the bus tour. I also appreciated your tips on the "facilities" in Greece and commented on that post.

I'm planning a solo trip to Athens, Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini for next May. Did you go anywhere where you felt unsafe or uncomfortable as a solo female? I've never been to Greece before so I'm not really sure what the attitude is towards young(ish) women traveling alone.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM

For Naxos visitor counts see http://www.greekislandhopping.com/Home/Homefr.htm
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Click on Island Rankings.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Another vote for Naxos. Three of us were there in May/June 07 and all agreed it was our favourite Greek island we visited. Good beaches, easy to drive around (well except for those small village roads - for sure one car at a time! but don't let that stop you!). It also was seemed more reasonable the other islands and Athens as well.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Heimdall,

We had friend in Halki, but have also stayed near Prokopis, but away from the crowded hotel area. I really enjoy touring the "far" side of the island.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Repete, the area around Halki and Filoti is breathtaking, so I can understand why you enjoy it so much. Apollonas is also interesting, but a little too isolated for me.

I prefer to be nearer the coast myself, but even Plaka Beach is getting too crowded. When I first started going to Naxos you could find a spot on Plaka almost to youself. Now there are beach chairs at intervals its entire length.

Have you tried the beaches south of Mikri Vigla? Kastraki Beach sounds like a good possibility, but I have never been there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -