Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Let's try AGAIN, where to stay within an hour of FCO? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lets-try-again-where-to-stay-within-an-hour-of-fco-431332/)

nina May 13th, 2004 09:27 AM

Let's try AGAIN, where to stay within an hour of FCO?

We are leaving for Italy next week and I still haven't figured out we're to spend our last night.

Our first 2 days are in Rome,
next 3 days in Positano,
next 3 days in Tuscany

Where to go for our last night before a 9am flight out of FCO? And no, we don't want to go back to Rome.

Any suggestions PLEASE?

cmeyer54 May 13th, 2004 10:16 AM

You might as well go back to Rome and stay at an airport hotel. Allowing for the lines, checking baggage, security checkpoints, dropping a rental car, etc. and then driving an hour minimum just to start that process for a 9am flight, you'll be leaving where ever you decide to stay by 5am! Stay in Tuscany as long as possible, drive down to the airport, arrive late at night and just give yourself a break.

Tries2PakLite May 13th, 2004 10:40 AM

We stayed at the Cancelli Rossi. It is not "tres chic", but all we did was get something to eat (at the hotel next door), sleep and catch the shuttle in the morning. It served it's purpose and was clean to boot.
((c))

Nlingenfel May 13th, 2004 10:54 AM

We stayed at the Riveria in Fiumicino.It was a nice little hotel and the owners were quite nice. We walked down the street to a resturant and had a good meal and the trip to the airport the next a m was easy.

Budman May 13th, 2004 10:58 AM

Actually, nina, I just booked at the Riveria (sp) last night and got a confirmation this morning. It is in the town on the coast, and they are quoting me 95 euros for two people with breakfast.

I've got until September, so I'm still looking also. ((b))

nina May 13th, 2004 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll check out the Riviera. I just hate to "give up" and wanted to stretch the vacation as long as possible but maybe you're right. Budman if I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

bobthenavigator May 13th, 2004 01:18 PM

The Satellite Palace in Lido di Ostia.

marcy_ May 13th, 2004 02:00 PM

The town of Frascati might be an option. It's located on a hill just outside of Rome. We stayed there once for our last night in a situation similar to yours, and it was fun for a change of pace.

There's not too much to see there, but it's a nice town with a great view over Rome, and it's where Frascati wine comes from. There were virtually NO tourists there, only Romans coming up to the hills for "fresh air".

It only took us half an hour to drive to Fiumicino airport from there.

Budman May 13th, 2004 02:36 PM

marcy_, sounds like a great place. I especially like the "no tourist" comment.

Where did you stay? Any nice restaurants for a last nice meal before he have to depart the following morning? ((b))

Anne27 May 13th, 2004 02:46 PM

Nina,
We are planning to travel to the Amalfi coast in June and I think we will fly into Rome to do this. How are you getting from Rome to Positano? And where are you staying in Positano?Thanks.

marcy_ May 13th, 2004 08:32 PM

The hotel where we stayed was the Bellavista, right on the main square. It was a small hotel- nothing fancy- and the management didn't speak a lot of English, but were VERY nice and helpful. The room was large, simple, and comfortable.

We ate at a little restaurant nearby that the man at the hotel recommended- I have no idea of the name, but you could sit outside and look down on the lights of Rome. The food was basic but good, and it was the sort of place where they serve your wine in a tumbler, with vinyl tablecloths. We found it very charming.

If you want a fancier restaurant, Cacciani is supposed to be good.

nina May 14th, 2004 04:46 AM

Thank you, What a coincidience Marcy, I just found a gorgeous place called "Grand Hotel Villa Fiorio" located between Frascati and Grottferrata and the room is 135 Euros, which seems very reasonable for the place.

Anne, we are taking the train to Naples, then having a car pick us up at the Naples train station as recommended by a few people here. I booked the car and driver through positanotaxi for 90 Euro. It seems as though it will be well worth it.

We are satying at Le Agavi in Positano, which was more than we originally wanted to spend, but our first choice, La Fenice, was booked. I would try to get reservations there first, as it was highly recommended by my neighbor who usually stays only at very pricey establishments and raved about how nice and what a good value it was (it's cheap!), but good luck getting reservations. I also wanted to try Villa Rosa, which is highly recommended here, but that was all booked up too.

I'll write a review of Le Agavi when I return, it looks nice, so we just decided to go for it.