Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Let's talk about Genoa. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lets-talk-about-genoa-470737/)

Patrick Aug 29th, 2004 11:17 AM

Let's talk about Genoa.

Several posts recently have mentioned flying into or changing trains at Genoa. That's a city that is rarely mentioned here, so let's talk about it for a bit.

Years ago during a stay in Nice, we decided to make our first trip into Italy -- as a day trip, so we picked Genoa as an easy destination by train. The year was about 1986. The city was disgusting. We wondered aimlessly as we hadn't done any planning. But although we spent most of the day coverning a lot of the city and much of the seafront, it appeared to be the dirtiest, ugliest city I'd ever visited.

This year our train from Milan to Nice headed into Genoa for a stop and headed back out. We had picked up a woman who lives in Menton and had been to Genoa for the day and we talked a lot. I couldn't help but notice the many beautiful new buildings we passed on the way in and the way out. We also followed the coast a bit and saw a beautiful flower lined promenade. This woman informed us that Genoa is the most transformed city of Italy over the past 10 or so years.

So I'm curious. Any Genoa stories? I'm not headed there, but just wondering what people have found there recently, or do you all avoid it like I have been?

degas Aug 29th, 2004 11:20 AM

I don't think anybody has visited there and then lived to tell about it.

111op Aug 29th, 2004 11:23 AM

No personal Genoa stories, but a friend said that he lost all his stuff left in his car's trunk when he parked it near the cathedral (I think, if there's one). This was many years ago.

Of course, it's one of the two European cultural capitals of 2004 (the other is Lille).

Betsy Aug 29th, 2004 11:25 AM

Degas, you are in <b>rare</b> form today.

&hearts; &hearts; &hearts;

degas Aug 29th, 2004 11:32 AM

Hi Betsy, thanks. It's Still cleaning day - I'm hitting the &quot;special brew&quot; a little early.

Grasshopper Aug 29th, 2004 11:42 AM

Patrick, I think that Genoa got a major face lift when it hosted the G8 summit a couple of years ago.

artlover Aug 29th, 2004 11:50 AM

degas,

We were there for approximately 6 hours (between train changes) about 5 or 6 years ago and have lived to tell about it, but certainly have no desire to go back. It was my least favorite city in Italy. I even found the museum depressing (and that's very unusual for me.)

Patrick,

I hope it's changed--it certainly needed to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

ira Aug 29th, 2004 12:09 PM

Hi all,

You might find these links interesting:

http://www.infohub.com/Destinations/...a/Italy/Genoa/

http://www.webtourist.net/touristinf...noa-italy.html

SalB Aug 29th, 2004 03:29 PM

I sure hope it's improved. My husband wants to spend a couple days there between Tuscany and Provence. We're driving up the Italian coast and Genoa is on the way.

There have been a few good travel articles this past year about Genoa and it looked very nice in the photos, at least good enough to get my husband's attention.

We'll let you know at Thanksgiving. ((@))

WanderingTexan Aug 29th, 2004 04:49 PM

I actually stayed there in 2002. I met some Italian women on a water taxi in the Virgin Islands and we became friends, so we went to visit them. Genoa is a major port for cruise ships. It has a world famous aquarium which is new. We enjoyed our stay there, and our friends gave us a tour of the city, but she was afraid to leave her car for very long (it was at night) and she told us there were certain areas you did not go into at night and we were apparently on the outskirts of that area. However we walked around the city center late at night with no problem. The people at the train station were very nice to us. I think it is a nice day trip to add to a CT trip, but I wouldn't go otherwise.

If you want to go somewhere off the beaten path, I really liked Torino.

WanderingTexan Aug 29th, 2004 04:50 PM

oops, I think it was my 2000 trip, not 2002.

Patrick Aug 29th, 2004 06:11 PM

&quot;We enjoyed our stay there, and our friends gave us a tour of the city, but she was afraid to leave her car for very long (it was at night) and she told us there were certain areas you did not go into at night and we were apparently on the outskirts of that area.&quot;

And this is different from Rome? Or Paris? Or London? Or Madrid? Or. . .?

WillTravel Aug 29th, 2004 10:06 PM

I told an Italian woman that I plan to visit Rome, Florence, and Venice. She told me that was good, but that I must also visit Milan, Genoa, and Verona. Verona is semi-popular here, but I haven't heard much good about the other two (with a few exceptions). Maybe it's helpful to have local advice for those two cities.

WanderingTexan Aug 30th, 2004 03:31 PM

Patrick, I answered your post because you have always been a great help to me in my trip planning, but I guess you didn't really want my observations after all, judging by your response. I guess my point was, we did go out at night and were not harmed, robbed, etc., but my friend wanted to have her car in view at all times. I don't usually rent a car in Rome, Paris, or London. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are in one of the villages where you don't have to worry about that.

Huitres Aug 30th, 2004 03:47 PM

Genoa has been fine every time I have visited it over the years (last year was my most recent visit). I noticed a lot of changes last year (cleaning building facades, putting in street lights, lampposts, etc) in preparation for 2004 European capital 'title'. I have felt safe there each time I have gone, even around the two train station areas (Principe, Brignole) at night.

As a matter of fact, I will be there this coming weekend (with my young child) so I will be able to let you all know when I return. I am going to spend the day there walking around the city, we will see the famous aquarium, shop, eat somewhere, then get back on the train and head back to the CT in the evening.

Clifton Aug 30th, 2004 04:55 PM

No personal experience, but just thought I'd offer for those who enjoy Rudy Maxa's shows that Genoa was one of his featured destinations. It was paired with the Italian Riviera and the Cinque Terre.

http://www.travelsmallworld.com/Smar...%20riviera.htm

Patrick Aug 30th, 2004 05:05 PM

Gee, Wandering Texan, I'm not sure what you read into my response. You mention that it can be an unsafe place to leave a car unattended. I merely asked how that is different from any other major city in the world. I appreciate your remarks, but just didn't think it was anything unexpected. It is simply common sense in any city that there are inherent dangers -- I'm sure Genoa is no exception. Genoa is a major city, so I wouldn't expect village &quot;safety&quot;. I'm sorry if somehow my response offended you.

jheim Aug 31st, 2004 03:46 AM

From my perspective - Genoa is to Italy as Limerick is to Ireland . . . a commercial center for the region.

Great for the locals, but lacking 'attractions' that are tourist magnets.

MyriamC Aug 31st, 2004 03:58 AM

We're leaving for Italy on Thursday and plan on spending (half) a day in Genoa on Friday. I'll let you know when we get back.

degas Aug 31st, 2004 04:21 AM

Don't forget to duck! I heard there is a &quot;hit man&quot; training school located there. Is your life insurance paid up?