Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Less Touristy Beer Halls than the Hofbrauhaus?

Feb 9th, 2001, 11:22 AM
kpaul

I am headed to Munich next weekend and have done the Hofbrauhaus nite. Much fun, but I am looking for a less touristy place where the bier is good and we can actually interact with Germans(as opposed to my fellow Americans). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Feb 9th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Deja

kpaul,

The Augustiner is a little less touristy, easy to find, and a good place to meet some of the locals. It is popular with Germans visiting Munich from out-of-town. Food is so-so. After a football game, the place will be packed.

Feb 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Shanna

Try Augustiner. Short walk from train station, same street - drat the memory is going - other direction from Marienplatz. Lots of Germans, friendly - the band didn't even play oompah. They played Beatles and KC&Sunshine. Funny.

Feb 9th, 2001, 11:51 AM
kpaul

Deja and Shanna, thanks for the input.
Speaking of football,we may go see a german national team play the Columbus(OH) Crew in an exhibition in Munich on Sunday.

kpaul

Feb 9th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Lori

This won't answer your question, but it is amusing. 16 years ago my husband and I were in Munich as our last stop on our honeymoon. We pulled into Munich, went to the hotel and the room wasn't ready yet. So off to the Marienplatz we went for lunch. While lunching - outdoors by the Glockenspiel - we were discussing what we were going to see and do the 2 days we would be in Munich, not noticing the couple next to us listening to every word. I mentioned that I wanted to go to the Hofbrauhaus, and that was all the couple next to us could take. We struck up a conversation with them because he said -you cannot go there, i will take you places. He spoke a little English, his girlfriend spoke none. We bought a German/English dictionary and proceeded to visit bars, beer halls, whatever with them for the entire day and night. Our new friend would not let us go back to our hotel until we tried every beer in Munich - and I think we did! We had a great time, and got back to the hotel somewhere around 5am. (we had called earlier in our drunken stupor to have them hold the room). I couldn't tell you any of the places we went, but they were all non tourist places. We were welcomed in each one with no problems.

Feb 9th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Miriam

Hello,
I would try:

Andechser am Dom
Weinstrasse 7

Zum Duernbraeu
Duernbraeugasse 2

Spatenhaus
Residenzstrasse 12

Zum Franziskaner
Perusastrasse 5

Paulaner Braeuhaus
Kapuzinerplatz 5

Those are just the ones I can think of
right now. I have the best memories of some other places which are outside Munich where you`ll meet little or no tourists. If you need information about those-just tell me.

Prost

Miriam

Feb 9th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Kim

Try the Weisses Brauhaus, it's not very far from the Hofbrauhaus. My husband & I went there in October, and it was full of locals. We were placed at a table with 2 German couples and had a great evening. The thought of this great place is making me crave a Schneider Weiss right now. Yum!