Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Less experienced travelers needing help with Switzerland and France

Jun 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
This is my first time posting. My husband and I are in our early 30's and we have booked a timeshare week in Jausiers, France. I have found little on the town itself (small town ski resort and we are going in July so I expect there is not much to do there.) Our itinerary is to fly into Zurich, Switzerland arriving in the morning. We hope to spend the day doing some museums, churches, etc. I plan on purchasing a ZurichCARD. In the evening we will go to the opera. What are the main "can't miss" things to do during the day? Do we have to dress up for the opera house? We are staying at the Marriott (booked on Priceline) The next morning we plan to rent a car and drive into France. I think it is about a 6 1/2 hour drive to our destination. Any ideas on renting a car would be helpful. I know gas is really expensive but we will need a car because I don't think Jausiers has a train stop. Other places we are considering making day trips to are: Nice, Monoco, Milan, Turin, anything within a few hours drive of our place. Any suggestions? We like the beach, we like the mountains, we are pretty active. I have heard we can scuba dive in Nice without a certification??? We want to experience the culture of the area, eat good food, and not spend the little bit of retirement we have saved. Oh, we also like antiques, shopping, and interesting tours. We have basically 5-6 days at our timeshare before driving back to Zurich and flying home. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Much of what I have already read on Zurich was helpful.
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:49 PM

Can't help you too much, but I found these websites that might offer some add'l info that you don't already have:

http://www.beyond.fr/villages/jausiers.html (English)

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/alaupro/...s/jausiers.htm (English)

http://www.jausiers.com/fr/index.aspx# (French only)

By checking google.com (maps/directions), it appears to be over 2 hrs each way to Nice. Monte Carlo is 2-1/2 hrs each way. It's over 4 hrs each way to Milan, way too far for a day trip. Same with Turin which is about 3 hrs each way.

I think you need to go to a mapping website like viamichelin.com, mappy.com or google.com as I did and figure out what would be a little closer to Jausiers.
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM

Have no idea where this time share is - but suggest you have a look at Via Michelin.com for routes and realistic driving times. (You will need to use the name of the nearest larger town - since the place the time share is located is so obscure it;s not on the standard mapping sites.)

I can;t imagine any place in Switzerland that will allow you to travel to all the places you want to go without your spending the bulk of your time just sitting in a car on small, slow back road - or fighting traffic on major highways.

If you really want to see Zurich and the Cote D'Azur I VERY strongly suggest you spend a couple of nights in Zurich and then move to a hotel in Nice or close by. (These time shares at the end of hell and gone in the off season are very rarely worth all the aggravation of their location.)

Unless you are very unusual your first day you will be so jet lagged you will be falling asleep over your lunch - and will NEVER make it through an opera at night.

Also - if you haven;t bought tickets yet you should VERY strongly consider flying open jaws into Zurich and out of Nice - to avoid wasting a couple of days just trekking to and for airports.
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM

I would skip Milan an go to the Lake Como area.
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM

nytraveler, google.com has directions from Jausiers, France as I said in my previous post. I also got directions from Jausiers on viamichelin.com.

Venezia123, amismac wants day trips she can do from her timeshare in Jausiers. No way she can do Lake Como since it is over 4 hours each way.

For your car rental, I suggest you check with www.gemut.com. You can phone Andrew Bestor -- phone number is on the website -- if you have any questions or need help.
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

The viamichilin website is great - I usually use googlemaps but I like that this calculates the cost. The gemut.com website is also helpful. THANKS!

I still would love any day trip ideas. Nice is two hours which is really not much to us (my husband commutes an hour and a half daily to work.) How would you all suggest spending time on the coast? Any favorite spots, restaurants, tours?
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - open jaws was a new expresion to me. I used my credit card points to purchase the tix so I am not sure that was an option to fly out of another city...would have been a great idea though.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Sorry -

I read Jausiers as Switzerland - not France. Mappy shows the fastest route as 2 1/4 hours - but that includes a couple of tunnels - and you can count on it taking longer than that in July holiday traffic.

Don;t think Como is realistic - and frankly I wouldn;t want to spend 5 hours on the road to get back and forth to Nice.

But - if you're stuck with the time share I guess you have little choice.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM

What dates are you traveling?
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

I recently rented from gemut.com and it was a very poor choice. I was given the wrong size car in Europe and was not provided a GPS, which I had specifically reserved. My experience with gemut.com was very, very bad.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
ira

Hi A,

>What are the main "can't miss" things to do during the day?

The Zurich card gives you a free ride from the airport into town. You can also visit the Schweizerisches Landesmuseum, Museumstrasse 2 Tue-Sun 10:00 17:00, for free.

We liked the Botanical Gardens.

Walking along the river is pleasant.

>The next morning we plan to rent a car and drive into France.<

You will pay a large drop off fee if you don't return the car to Switzerland.

From Jausiers, you can be in Nice or Aix en Provence in about 2:30 hr.

> I think it is about a 6 1/2 hour drive to our destination.

www.viamichelin.com says it's a bit over 7 hr.

May I ask why you are flying to Zurich if you are staying near Nice?

Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

We leave this Thursday and return on the fourth of July.

We are flying back out of Zurich so we will return the car and then spend our last night there.

Is kayak.com better for car rental or should I go with priceline?

It sounds like nobody has been to this area where we are going - except maybe in the winter for skiing. Maybe I should do another post with Jausiers in the title???

We really are trying to figure out the best day trips and honestly, a two hour drive each way doesn't bother us.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
Thanks for the information. The botanical garden sounds interesting. The reason we are flying into Zurich is because we wanted to see one major city before going to the timeshare. It was also much cheaper to fly here with our creditcard points. I also thought the drive would be pretty and that if we saw a place to stop off, we would. We are a couple in our early thirties with no kids yet so it is kind of a fly by the seat of our pants trip. The only problem is that I am used to being very structured and planned and my husband is not so now that we are starting to pack, I am freaking out! Yes, we have literally planned NOTHING except our flight and hotels.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

While yodak may have had problems with gemut.com, many, many Fodorites have been very satisfied with their service. I think you would do yourself a disservice by not giving them a chance to quote.

If it would make you feel any better, do a search here for Gemut and read some of the reviews and recommendations.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM

More possible day trips:

Grand Canyon du Verdon (SW of Castellane)

Lavender fields on the Plateau d'Albion / Pays de Sault (half way between Sisteron and Orange)