Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Less expensive flights to Paris for 16 yr. old from PHL

Mar 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi-

Last minute opportunity creates a need for a r/t ticket from PHL to Paris (or from any other US city if we can get a better deal) for travel departing end of June, returning end of July. I have searched and searched, but cannot find anything under $900 and that is Air India out of NY. Any ideas? Any travel sites that sell discounted tickets to high school students?
Thanks for your help!
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM

I've checked a couple sites that sell student fares (supposedly), one a consolidator, but they didn't have anything less than around $1100 nor did any other discount airfare site I know (like airlineconsolidator.com, etc)

I don't think you'll have much luck with this. YOu could try priceline.
That is the peak airfare period, and being 16 isn't really any different than an adult.
Mar 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi F,

$900 is very good.

Take it, even if it is AA.

Check with the airline about rules regarding unaccompanied minors. There will probably be extra charges.

Mar 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. It is Air India out of NY - not my first choice for a 16 yr old traveling alone for first time. I was hoping maybe somebody could suggest some other cities. I could fly him into/out of somewhere else (US Air miles).
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I checked a couple cities, but I think the cheapest you will ever get will be out of JFK, and I didn't see anything cheaper than $1100 (except that Air India thing).

I thought maybe something in Canada, but even Montreal didn't get any cheaper.
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM

From JFK there are often cheaper flights to London than to Paris and not all that difficult to get between the 2 tho there would be some cost.

Don't know of any airline that consider a 16 year-old an UM, not saying they are not out there but none to my knowledge.
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Not sure if this will work but www.flyzoom.com will get him from JFK to LGW for about $635 R/T. He would still need to get from PHL to JFK and again from LGW to CDG (try www.whichbudget.com for that).

Good luck!
Mar 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this tip, but I can't find availability for June 28th and that is when he has to arrive. I'll keep checking - have you flown this before?
Appreciate the help.
Mar 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Apparently the airline does not fly on Saturdays so June 28th is out, BUT, if he has to arrive on the 28th, not leave, he'll have to leave on the 27th as it's an overnight flight. Unfortunately the 27JUN flight is $100 more than what I quoted, but if he is willing to leave on the 26th arriving in London on the 27th then the price is the same($635 all in) as long as can return on 24 or 31JUL.

The airline is fine. Nothing spectacular, but it will get him there.
Mar 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Do you have NWA frequent flyer miles that you could use for the ticket or transfer to the student?? They frequently have 'cash and miles' promotions for airfare. And they're currently advertising a new cash and mile 'perk choice' program that lets you use 50% miles, 50% cash, with no time and date restrictions.
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - only US Air miles, but thanks for the ideas!