Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Les Grands Boulevards (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/les-grands-boulevards-897677/)

kerouac Jul 6th, 2011 05:16 AM

Les Grands Boulevards

The "Grands Boulevards" get short shrift here since most visitors on this site want to concentrate on the main sights, or other places like Saint Germain des Prés, rue Cler, the Champs Elysées, etc., whether or not they are their own favorite haunts or some guidebook has insisted that they should be.

But how many people know that the Grands Boulevards were the place to go and be seen for more than 200 years? In fact, they only fell out of fashion around the 1950's or 60's when those damned beatniks and other misfits moved nightlife elsewhere.

Nevertheless, the area remains a favorite of visitors from other parts of France as well as many Europeans, which is why it has far more hotels and restaurants than any other part of Paris. It also remains the principal theatre district for plays.

For those who would like to see some things about it, I have made a complete photo report starting from Place de la Madeleine all the way to Place de la Bastille, which is the entire official length of the term "Grands Boulevards." I'm not saying that it is worth your time to go the entire length like I did, but at least you can see things along the way like the Maille mustard shop, the Opera, the 79€ brunch of the Café de la Paix, the Hard Rock Café, the Cirque d'Hiver and the Harley-Davidson shop. In short, something for everybody! :-)

Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6df66y2

flytheworld Jul 6th, 2011 05:30 AM

I agree about the Grands Boulevards! I stumbled upon them a year or two ago when I was in Paris for business, and I think they're a really underrated part of the city. Thanks for posting about them!

annhig Jul 6th, 2011 08:59 AM

thanks, kerouac.

a nice idea for our next visit to Paris.

Nikki Jul 6th, 2011 09:11 AM

Thanks for the nice tour. I have not found a reason to head over to Place de la Madeleine, I figured I saw it from the taxi once on the way from the airport, and that was enough for me. But now that there is a museum there, maybe I'll hit that spot.

Interesting information about the Olympia and its block being entirely rebuilt.

CaliNurse Jul 6th, 2011 10:01 AM

I walked much of this on second trip to Paris, in August 1968! it was a great view of different economic classes--from Place Vendome to more "working class" at the far end. Got the most incredible pate de campagne from a market near Bastille.
THANK YOU for these wonderful photos!! Good thing i was just in Paris, or would be in tears by now!!!

P_Peppington Jul 6th, 2011 10:05 AM

HEDIARD!

SWOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love Hediard, especially their house Champagne.

P_P

sassy_cat Jul 6th, 2011 10:24 AM

I think Opera Garnier is a justifiable favourite. Great photo; it's gleaming in the sunlight.

We'll be there soon!

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2011 11:09 AM

The picture with the man on a bike at a cross walk, that looks
like the location of Caillbotte's painting, Rainy day in Paris.

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2011 11:16 AM

Caillebotte's painting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Street;_Rainy_Day

YankyGal Jul 6th, 2011 12:03 PM

I've been on various parts of Les Grands Boulevards, but really appreciated this tour in one swoop, kerouac. It made me realize that I've not been near La Madeleine in 10 years (or more) since I sure don't remember those flowers!

A 200 Euro umbrella indeed! Not for me.

Interesting about Place de la République becoming more pedestrian-friendly - or driver-hostile, depending on one's point of view. I just read an article about how this sort of thing is happening all over Europe, in general, to try to discourage driving.

YankyGal Jul 6th, 2011 12:04 PM

Oops, meant to add a thank you for posting another great report!

nukesafe Jul 6th, 2011 12:32 PM

Another reason to return!

FrenchMystiqueTours Jul 6th, 2011 03:59 PM

I think over the last two or three days I have biked just about every major boulevard on the right bank and the great thing about them from a biking perspective is many of them have bus lanes that allow biking so you can enjoy the view while riding without being overly concerned with traffic.

AnthonyGA Jul 6th, 2011 05:10 PM

I think the grands boulevards don't get much attention from tourists and tourist publications simply because they are not a specific place. Tourists like to go to specific locations and see specific landmarks. They seem much more reluctant to consider walking around a neighborhood or area, which apparently seems too vague to them. Paris in general is a great city for walking around, but tourists don't want to walk around, they want to go directly to Landmark 1, then move directly on to Landmark 2, and so on.

ronaldkwok Jul 7th, 2011 02:29 AM

True, that's what I did in my recent visit so some of the photos look very familar and even similar to those in my Blog below. Around Madeleine, Opera Garnier, Hard Rock, etc. But of course, I did not see as much; that's the difference between a local and a tourist. It would also be be too taxing on the legs to do it in one go.

Ronald
http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/

tedgale Jul 7th, 2011 03:38 AM

Thank you for this great photo essay (with thoughtful commentary, as always, Kerouac).

I feel a Paris visit comin' on....

ira Jul 7th, 2011 05:21 AM

Thanks very much for a lovely tour, K.

((I))

TPAYT Jul 7th, 2011 05:43 AM

We'll definitely put this on our list for our next Paris visit.

They always say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for taking us along.

Coquelicot Jul 7th, 2011 07:56 AM

Great as usual. You aren't going to run out of places to go and photograph, are you?

paris1953 Jul 7th, 2011 09:03 AM

Love your essay very much. It makes not visiting Paris this year easier to bear.