Les Eyzies as a home base in Dordogne?

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Les Eyzies as a home base in Dordogne?

We are planning a trip with 3-4 other couples to Dordogne for early fall next year. There are two chateaux that will accommodate our group located near Les Eyzies. They are also not too far from Sarlat, which I have read about, but the closest town for market, etc will be Les Eyzies. Can anyone comment on the charm or food opportunities in this town? Ideally we are looking for a very nice house to sleep about 10 people located fairly close to good dining (though we will hopefully prepare some meals at "home" as well) and proximity to good roads for day trips. Any feedback on this location and/or recommendations for websites or properties would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Which châteaux are these?

You definitely do not want to be IN Les Eyzies (though there aren't any châteaux IN Les Eyzies anyway). In fact, one trip through it to see the prehistory museum and walk up and down the two or three blocks will be sufficient exposure to the town. There is no market (well, in high season there are a few craftsmen on the river terrace and a fairly big market on Mondays, but it's generally over by early fall, and the parking situation is so dire you wouldn't want to deal with it anyway - there are far better markets all over the place).
The only restaurant I like there is the Vieux Moulin - gorgeous setting and lovely food. The rest of the town is pizza places and stuffy overpriced hotel restos, and one incredibly mediocre café. There's a good baker, a decent butcher, the usual handful of foie gras, truffle, and wine stores, a very good maison de la presse (particularly if you're interested in prehistory), a good tourist office, and a ridiculous lot of tacky souvenir shops.

No, you don't want to use Les Eyzies as your "base town," as it's one of the least attractive towns in the area.

Where are these châteaux?
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response StCirq ..... here are the two near Les Eyzies. Interestingly, they both seem to be new construction. http://www.frenchvillas.com/villa.aspx?villa=109811
and http://www.frenchvillas.com/villa.aspx?villa=109812
Sorry, I can't seem to get them to paste as a link.
Appreciate your feedback and any other suggestions!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Yes, they both look brand new. I wonder if they are up in the hills near Audrix. Do you have exact locations (communes) for either of them?

I hope that first one wasn't built up near my house since I've been away!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Another vote for NOT Les Eyzies. NO charm to this town at all. Either too many tourists in the high season, or nothing in the off season (I live in a village of 600 people, which is pretty quiet, but still prefer life here to Les Ezyies.) Too many tacky tourist shops
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Have a look at La Vigerie, near Carlux, about 15 km from Sarlat. It is an 18th century chartreuse, or small chateau, right on the Dordogne River, which is unusual, and beautifully decorated - it has appeared in several design magazines.

It has 4 bedrooms, all with lovely ensuite bath/shower rooms, a huge dining room, semi-professional kitchen, large pool, and a tennis court.

http://www.best-of-perigord.tm.fr/he...igerie_uk.html

In fact we dropped by on Sunday, a beautiful sunny day, to pick some walnuts, and were impressed once again by how beautiful the site and the house are.

We have no commercial connection with this house, but were friends with the owners when it was a chambres d'hotes, and know that it is quite stunning. Since then it has been sold to an American couple, who rent it out during the summer. The previous owner who did much of the design work on the house, still manages the property. She is French, but does speak some English.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Also check out the Château-en-Ciel in Le Coux et Bigaroux. I was friends with the British owner a few years ago and think she's sold it, but it still might be a rental property and it's absolutely gorgeous.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM

You might want to check out Château Malartrie in La Rocque-Gageac. Twelve of us rented it for two weeks a few years ago and found it very attractive. It appears from the website that the tiny kitchen has been replaced with a much larger one. We were there in June, and had no problems with the traffic in town which I understand becomes quite heavy in the later summer.

http://www.dordognerental.com/houses/chateau_c3-12.html

La Roque is quite small but does have a couple of good restaurants and a decent bakery. There is a good nearby market in St-Cyprien on Sundays.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Chateau Malartrie looks like it might be perfect for us. I am unable to find any links for Chateau-en-Ciel. La Viegerie is lovely but if all of 5 couples can make the trip will not be big enough. I appreciate the feedback and any others that come our way .....!