Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   lemon fanta (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lemon-fanta-151836/)

mike Jul 29th, 2001 12:39 PM

lemon fanta

ok, this is not really a travel question but is there anyone who knows how to import lemon fanta to the states?...everyone time i go to europe i can't seem to get enough of this stuff... <BR>thanks,

Karen Jul 29th, 2001 02:44 PM

Try Pop Shoppe website...they have hundreds of kinds of pop and ship anywhere. It is located in Scottsdale, AZ.

janis Jul 29th, 2001 08:32 PM

Check if there are any British food shops in your city. I live in Northern California and there are several in my general area. I can get Fanta, chocolate digestive biscuits, skittles, wheetabix, oxo, bird's custard and all the other "musts".

martha python Jul 30th, 2001 04:31 AM

Would you accept San Pelligrino's lemon soda instead? The Whole Foods Market near me sells that; I assume all of them do. <BR>PS Always glad to find another lemon soda fan out there.

mike Jul 30th, 2001 08:45 AM

thanks for all the replies...i just emailed the arizona store since they only list orange fanta on their website; as for the san pelligrano, i'll take a look but i don't think i have seen it around manhattan..it seems lemon drinks are quite limited in nyc and for the 1 or 2 brands available, they taste terrible... <BR> <BR>btw, ever noticed that sodas taste quite differently esp in europe? i know the manufacturers tailor the formula according to local taste, but a couple times when i tried coke in greece, it tasted terrible... <BR> <BR>just my 2 cents...

Vicki Jul 30th, 2001 08:50 AM

They really do alter their formula according to the local tastebuds. If you ever go to Las Vegas there is a giant coke bottle that is an elevator. When you get upstairs you can drink variations of coke from all over the world.

fanta Jul 30th, 2001 09:53 AM

lemon fanta = lemon barley squash + frizzy water . <BR>frizzy water = club soda <BR>lemon barley squash = easy to get anywhere . <BR> <BR>Absolutely tremendous on a hot summer day beside the pool. <BR> <BR>By all means , don't pay a zillion bucks for the imported bottled stuff . The do it yourself stuff tastes the same , for 1/10 the price.

Darlene Jul 30th, 2001 11:21 AM

Never heard of this lemon barley squash. What exactly is it? A vegetable, liquid, grain?

janis Jul 30th, 2001 11:26 AM

Sorry - Lemon Barley Squash isn't available in the States (except at british import shops) <BR> <BR>Squash is a citrus drink - lemon Squash, Orange Squash, etc. In the UK they call what we call "squash" (the vegtables) "marrows" or "Courgettes" (zuchini)

mike Nov 29th, 2001 08:48 PM

fanta lemon redux:<BR><BR>sorry to ask a non-travel related question but to followup on the previous question, does anyone know of any shops (particularly british/french import shops)in the nyc area that might import this stuff? i can't believe that i can have fanta in uk, france, greece or just about any civilized world except the US, it's driving me crazy...<BR><BR>any help is greatly appreciated...

Philip Nov 30th, 2001 03:32 AM

In NYC, you might try Myers of Keswick. This is a shop in Greenwich Village which imports British products. They are at 634 Hudson Street. Their phone is 212-691-4194.

dl Nov 30th, 2001 05:13 AM

The reason soda tastes different in europe is that they do not carbonate as much and the water used is different and goes thru different types of filterations sytems, etc. I prefer german "coke lite" to the american diet coke. As for lemon barley squash, it also comes in orange and I buy it in an IRish shop in Heidelberg, Germany. So if there is any Irish shops or pubs near you, they may have it. If there is a pub the manager may be willing to sell it to you for a slight profit. The stuff costs about 5 bucks a bottle. Good luck and I will have to try a lemon fanta as soon as I see one in Germany.

Meg Nov 30th, 2001 06:19 AM

There is a deli on 1st Avenue around 9th street that sells lots of British Imports. I believe it is near the Telephone Bar. You'd be surprised how many random places in NY carry imports.<BR>I'll post the name if I remember it, good luck.

mike Nov 30th, 2001 11:05 AM

thanks for all the replies...it's just that most fruit pops leave a bad aftertaste or they taste like tang or kool-aid...oddly enough i found orange fanta in greek astoria but it comes from yugoslavia..go figure...

sam Nov 30th, 2001 11:20 AM

DL - You made me smile when you mentioned the Irish shop in Heidelberg - I'm in there everytime I'm over there - do you live nearby?

NoName Nov 30th, 2001 04:55 PM

Does anyone remember a poster on this forum named Fanta who tried to convince people to travel within the U.S.A.????

BB Nov 30th, 2001 06:54 PM

When I was in Germany in the '80s there was a great soft drink by the name of Lift. Have not seen it on more recent trips. Does anyone know if it's still available?

BB Nov 30th, 2001 07:22 PM

Oops, forgot to mention that Lift is/was a lemon soft drink also.

dl Dec 3rd, 2001 02:46 AM

I live in Germany and yes Lift is still available, I have occasionally seen it in smaller kiosks. I was at my local donner kabob store last nite and they had 4 different Fanta, evidently it comes in berry, orange, lemon (which was quite tasty) and melon. So I guess it is more widely available than I thought. As for the question of my proximity to Heidelberg, I live about an hour away. Whenever friends or family come over they always want to go see the Heidelberg castle- which really isn't that interesting. So needless to say it is always a pleasure strolling thru the shopping district and pointing up and saying "Look its the Heidelberg castle".

Elizabeth Dec 3rd, 2001 03:43 AM

Mike.......we have tons of it up here. Check this web site which lists all soft drinks being sold in Canada. All sorts of Fanta flavours. If you are close to the border, shouldn`t be a problem .......or if you know someone, probably happy to "ease your pain". Th e site is http://www.softdrink.ca/sdibrane.htm<BR>