Leiden to Keukenhof -- Holland

Apr 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Leiden to Keukenhof -- Holland

We will be taking the train from Amsterdam to Leiden where we will catch a bus to Keukenhof. I know the train runs twice an hour from Amsterdam. Does anyone know how frequently the bus runs from Leiden and if it coincides with the train? Do we catch the bus at the train station?
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Yes, when i was at Keukenhof few years ago the bus to Leiden station was leaving it seemed constantly - fill up one and another rolled out. the best way to get to the gardens by public transportation. bus is just outside the train station.

www.keukenhof.nl
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM

When I was there last week, we only had to wait about 10 minutes for the next bus to pull up. And the bus is right outside the station, you buy the tickets as you get on.
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:40 PM

There is a special bus that goes directly from Leiden to Keukenhof, the Keukenhof Express (line no. 54). You can buy a combo ticket bus+entrance (roundtrip) for 18 euro (or 15 euro if you're 65+). For sale at the bus station.
There's also a Keukenhof Express that departs from Schiphol (Amsterdam airport). It's line no. 58. Combo tickets at same price as above.
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM

a novel alternative way to/from Keukenhof i found delightful. I took train from Amsterdam to Hillegom (via a change in Haarlem) and then tiptoed about three miles thru the kaleidoscopic flower fields themselves - well on a small lane, not actually in the fields themselves to the Keukenhof - as much a delight as the gardens to me - miles of undulating flowers all the way.
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM

"I know the train runs twice an hour from Amsterdam."
Which guidebook did you get this from? There are eight trains an hour from Amsterdam to Leiden and it takes 35 to 40 minutes depending on which class of train you take.

Take bus 54 from Leiden station. Instead of buying your ticket on the bus buy a 15 strip Strippenkaart before boarding the bus and you'll save money. Strippenkaart can be purchased in any train station or bus depot and is valid on any bus or city tram in NL. Nobody buys a ticket on the bus.

Apr 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Actually hopscotch, last week we did buy the ticket last week as we boarded the bus, as it was the #54 bus and we were buying the combined entrance ticket and bus transfer from the train station. I highly recommend this, as we avoided quite a queue at the entrance once we arrived at the Keukenhof.
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM

If you have any interest, there is a bike rental place at the train station in Leiden and it's a lovely, flat bike ride to the Keukenhof. Just another suggstion.
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Lots of information here. Thank you. My friend has mobility issues and will be reserving a motorized wheelchair in advance with Keukenhof, so biking and hiking are not in our plans.

Which bus ride would be more scenic -- the 54 or the 58?

For train schedules I looked at voyages-sncf website. I thought it was odd that they have a train every 30 minutes going south, but only one an hour going north. Nice to know there are so many trains so we won't have stress in catching one.

Diane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:14 AM

luvtotravel, the 54 wasn't terribly scenic, most of it is on a highway. I think we passed a couple of fields, but it was pretty quick and we just wanted to get where we were going.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Why would one buy a 15-strippenkaart for one return journey? I don't get it. I'm sorry.
The website says to buy the combo ticket at the station, not ON the bus.

Both buses are express buses. As far as I know they take the highway for the largest part of the road. I don't remember the ride as being scenic, especially since the bus (we had no. 54) was so crowded!
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Myriam, I'm simply relaying what happened. We walked up to the Connexion desk in the Leiden station, they pointed to the queue area outside the station and said we'd buy the combined ticket ON the bus. Which we did. I'm not sure why you'd question something I did last week, but whatever....
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM

amyb,
I was just writing what I read on the website.