Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leicester Square hotel safe for a female?>

Old Jan 22nd, 1998, 10:39 PM
barbara

Have found a great hotel to stay at, but it is located in Leicester Square. I know it is not technically Soho, but wondered if it was a safe area for a solo female traveller to walk through. Any thoughts??? It is such a central location, but have no idea of the scare factor.

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 07:54 AM
Nicole

I lived in London for a year, and I don't consider Leicester Square a bad area. I walked through that area at night (usually with a friend, though) plenty of times and felt safe. It's usually a very lively crowded square with nightlife and a lot of people and things going on. I just wouldn't walk there alone at 2 or 3 in the morning. I know there is crime in every city, but on the whole I felt like London was a very safe city. There are some bad sections, but those are usually out farther from the center of town (some in East London I think).

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 08:38 PM
Betsy

I think it depends on your age.If you are early twenties,Leicester is a great area for nightlife, most theaters and many nightclubs are there.However, for daytime London, I'd go with Kensington. It is centrally located to museums and Hyde Park.Key sights and shopping are nearby too.With the tube its easy to get around.There are some nicely priced, well run hotels there, (actually Fodor's has a good budget guide, so does Rick Steves) Enjoy! It is a wonderful city!